INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New ZWO EAF - questions

• Thank you received: 281

Replied by John on topic New ZWO EAF - questions

Hi Ronald,

I spent some time on this yesterday. So setting up Capture with say Lum, Red, Green and Blue and running the sequence from Capture behaves as I would expect in that the Filter Offsets between the filters are honoured.

I've fixed the Filter Settings button being greyed out in Capture. But it's not merged yet.

Running Framing from the Focus screen will also honour the values in Filter Settings, although I found a bug with offsets which I've fixed. This is probably the issue you were having. If you specify a "lock" filter (e.g. you have Red locked to Lum) then if you try to frame on Red, it will switch to Lum, apply the filter offset between Red and Lum and start framing. When you stop framing it will revert back to Red. If you want framing on Red to run on Run (rather than Lum) then just don't specify a lock filter against Red and it will honour the filter offsets and run framing on Red.

I'll let you know when the 2 issues I've fixed are merged.
1 month 1 week ago #99762

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Ron,

These changes are merged now so If you are able to take bleeding-edge changes you can get the changes now. If not, they will be in the next official Kstars release.
1 month 1 week ago #99770

• Thank you received: 17
John,
Thank you. I am glad that my activity has possibly identified potential bugs in the process. I am afraid that my understanding of the settings for filter offsets is still incomplete. I have watched your video several times, but never while I was actually setting up the filter offsets at the computer. So I have always been assuming I understood the settings.

I will try setting the filter settings again, but right now we are in the middle of 'pollen' outbreak from the pine trees and my scope will turn yellow in a few minutes outside.

My confusion is based on this: I have locked my filters (GRB) to LUM, but I don't want to run a LUM Autofocus when I switch filters. If I call for a Red filter, why would I want to run an AF run on Lum and then apply a pre-determined offset rather than just running an AF on the Red filter? The only reason I can assume is that you might not be able actually do an AF using the Red filter, because the object is to dim. That seems unlikely when setting the system up.

I have pre-established the offsets for my filters (RGB). I run an AF on LUM at the beginning of the evening. Then during the night when I call for a filter, I expect it to move to the most recent LUM AF position plus the offset for that filter. I recall that I did not check any of the AF boxes for any of the filters. I have offsets input, I put LUM in the Lock column for each filter (RGB) so that its offset would be applied to the current LUM setting. (which does seem to be updated when I performed the recent LUM AF). I do not want the offsets to represent the setting from one filter from another (so RED is -90 from LUM and G is +20 from LUM, not from RED).

My question is how do I set up the filter settings so it behaves that way? If I leave all boxes unfilled (no AF boxes checked, no LOCK filter boxes filled in) then does it behave the way I expect? Or do I need to alter my approach?

thanks,
Ron
1 month 1 week ago #99785

Hi Ronald,

So a couple of things that might help with understanding:
1. The "Lock" filter thing is a way of separating imaging filter from focus filter. So, for example, you could pick the best filter for focusing, maybe Lum or a light pollution filter. Whenever you are imaging in say Red and an Autofocus is requested (many reasons, change of filter, time based, HFR Change, etc etc) then Focus will Autofocus on the Lock filter, swap back the imaging filter and apply the offset between imaging filter and lock filter. Since you don't operate in this way there is no need to set a lock filter.
2. Filter Offsets by applying the difference between the "from" filter and the "to" filter. This doesn't need a lock filter to be set in order to work.

So based on my understanding of what you want to achieve, I'd set Filter Settings up like this with no Autofocus checked, no Lock Filter set (but with your own offsets of course)...
1 month 1 week ago #99787
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 17
John,
Thanks again. Yes that was going to be my next step, uncheck everything. I will check it out (bad pun) the next time I am under the stars.

I have lots to learn about using your Auto Focus tool, but what I have used so far has been working great for establishing a good focus.

Ron
1 month 1 week ago #99808

Thanks Ron,

Hopefully things will work well for you, but If not just post again.
1 month 1 week ago #99817

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds