INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Star Adventurer 2i wifi and polar align failure

• Thank you received: 2
I am trying to polar align using Ekos Polar Alignment routine, but is failing!
The mount is a Star Adventurer 2i wifi, which as you know only moves in RA direction.
The driver is the EQMod-driver.

So my initial steps are:
- physically move the scope (by loosen the knobs) to a star slightly west of the meridian, then fasten the knobs.
- syncing the scope's coordinates to that star (by right click on the star, EQMod Mount -> Sync)
- doing a plate solve (with sync as solver action), with success. So we seem to know where we are in the sky.

So far so good?

Then when I start the Polar Alignment procedure, the scope's coordinates suddenly moves away to some value
in the east, warning me "This could cause the telescope to cross the meridian!" !
Which also means that the solver will fail when the first image taken is so far away from the telescope's east coordinates.

The reason for the east coordinates seems to be that the alignment module is being reset.
I don't know from where these east coordinates comes from, seems to be some initial value?
And why the reset? How can I keep the solver coordinates? What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone succeeded in doing a polar alignment with Ekos on a Star Adventurer, and if so how?

Håkan Wahlberg
7 months 2 weeks ago #95599

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Håkan,
I have to admit I haven't done PA with my Star Adventurer yet, but I think I understand what's going wrong.

The first steps with moving manually, synching and plate solving are fine (I'm not 100% sure whether the last step is really necessary). But then I would do it differently. You need to select the "Manual slew" checkbox and execute the 15 deg slew westward with released clutches manually.

It sounds as if you are using the Telescope Simulator, which is good for setting the position. The motion you observe is the motion of the simulated sky position of the simulator, which does not reflect any motions of the Star Adventurer.

HTH
Wolfgang
7 months 2 weeks ago #95606

• Thank you received: 2
Hi Wolfgang.
Thanks for your answer!
No, I am not using the Telescope Simulator, I am using the EQMod-driver.
And the telescope coordinates are changed to the east coordinates immediately I push the Polar Alignment Start-button.
So I guess it doesn't matter whether i check the "Manual slew" or not. The plate solver fails and no slew to next position.
I understand that resetting the Alignment Model will delete all alignment points, but where does the east coordinates come from?
I see nothing corresponding in the control panel tabs for the mount.

HTH
Håkan W
7 months 2 weeks ago #95613

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds