INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashes when using Align module

• Thank you received: 16
That said and since you also have an M1 Sonoma. Are you able to boot up ekos with internal indi server with a mount simulator and a ccd simulator and use the align module?
That's the office machine where I'm trying to put together a development system, and use the simulators. In the observatory there's an M2 Mac mini connected to the real equipment.

The observatory sometimes crashes in the Align module, but less than half the time (maybe 20%?) The crash logs are on the machine and I can dig them out.

The office one hasn't crashed yet because I rarely try it. I just did and it worked OK.
3 months 1 week ago #98358

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I did it for x86_64 instead with rosetta.

I just tried using Rob's script unmodified (I was changing the processor before, and at one point the Qt version too).
I trashed the old AstroRoot and Projects folders, and downloaded it fresh.
It failed with bad CPU:
Execute: /opt/homebrew/opt/python@3.11/bin/python3.11 /Users/francis/AstroRoot/craft-root/craft-tmp/bin/craft.py craft
arch: posix_spawnp: /opt/homebrew/opt/python@3.11/bin/python3.11: Bad CPU type in executable
Any hints on the way forward?

Thanks,
Richard
3 months 1 week ago #98359

• Thank you received: 3
Yeah I had a bunch of problems too with this. Basically it's trying to use the python with arm64 executable which was installed by brew which also differentiates between arm64 and x86_64.

I ended up running this setup stackoverflow.com/a/68443301.
3 months 1 week ago #98363

Now it doesn't crash anymore and instead says
2024-01-23 12:17:22.979573+0000 kstars[54517:806952] [org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] "No Target - Please pick an object."
3 months 1 week ago #98365

• Thank you received: 74
What happens is that you did not select a target prior to doing a [Capture & Solve].
The issues we had with the option "Differential Slewing" very often derived from the fact, that no object was selected before doing some actions including a slew. So I had to intercept this situation in order to prevent the use of the impossible initialization target coordinates. (BTW you can track that in the log file with active alignment logging.) The changes were integrated a couple of days ago and it seems you compiled the newest master. Thus I don't think the documented crashes are related with these changes. Just select an object before doing a [Capture & Solve].
3 months 1 week ago #98370

Sorry I'm still pretty new to Ekos. How do I select a target?

Edit: Nevermind found it. Seems to be working!!

I'll report back later today. Sky is looking clear so hopefully I'll be able to do a polar align!
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Dman.
3 months 1 week ago #98377

I'm beginning to lose my mind over this one. I finally gave up trying to do it on Apple Silicon. Even using your link to a way to install brew in parallel for Apple Silicon and x86 (which didn't work, BTW, always insisting I needed to run the script in bash, when I was in a bash shell), I never got it working.

Then I thought: just a minute, I've got several Intel Macs here so use one of those. Well it turns out they were all running Mojave, too old for the Homebrew stuff. One was too old for upgrade and both the others were doing important stuff in the observatory. So I chose one (the i5 rather than i3) for upgrade to Sonoma.

What a mess! A rather important app on there (CloudWatcher, which I wrote myself) can no longer see the serial ports, so doesn't work any more. Another app (Serial) can. So that immediately drops me in lots of unforeseen work (by the way, it works on the M2 Apple Silicon running Sonoma, so it's not that straightforward).

But on top of that, the wretched kstars script *still* falls over at the same place! Admittedly it's "only" 3 packages instead of 4 which are unavailable, but it's enough. For information, it's KTextTemplate, StatusNotifier and KColorScheme, which all claim to have been added in KF6 (whatever that is) and so not available in lower Qt versions. I tried both Qt5 and Qt6 in responding to the Craft setup questions.

This stuff is *so* obscure. I'm a regular coder, not a unix expert, and there is zero clue as to how to fix this problem, if it's even fixable.

I just want to be able to add devices into the libraries, which I can do , but this unix scripting stuff is a serious obstacle,

Well, that's that off my chest. Now I'll return to fixing my app which was broken in this fruitless experiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Taylor
3 months 1 week ago #98389

Me on the other hand bring news of success. I was finally able to do a polar align and nothing crashed!! Now the only weird issue is that the mount seems to slew incorrectly but that's probably something related to config.

To try and help you with your plight.
I'm using ZSH. Using that config allowed me to run both the arm and x86 versions of brew. When compiling kstars I also used an iTerm instance that was using rosetta. So x86_64 all the way through.
When prompted I used Qt5
I had some issues trying to the script to use the correct python because I also use pyenv ocasionally in my dev work and it was giving me problems. But after a while I got it to work.
Had to comment out the lines that copy the Craft ini files.
While it is compiling the indi server it also fails with a missing header. But after installing the missing lib it goes through.
And that's all I think
3 months 1 week ago #98390

• Thank you received: 0
Hi All, I tried to follow along to see a solution but not being a programer/developer I had a hard time understanding the posts. I am still having crashing issues as before. Does anyone have a workable solution for MacOS? If so, can you dumb it down for me? Thanks!
3 months 4 days ago #98504

Heyo

I know it can be a bit daunting xD
I basically had to compile everything locally to see the changes. It's a headache and I don't recommend it if you're not familiar with setting up dev environments.
The simple way for you to try this fix out would be to get the nightly build here: binary-factory.kde.org/job/KStars_Nightly_macos/
Sadly the nightly builds are broken and it's stuck on a build previous to the one that introduced this fix =/
IIRC there was a topic here that talked about fixing this but there seems to have been no change yet :c

Quick edit:
!!!!!
Actually since the build is down they've done a beta build for 3.6.9 here: www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/14244-kstars-...-6-9-beta.html#98509
You can try that out. It should include the change that fixes this issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Taylor, Richard Francis
Last edit: 3 months 4 days ago by Dman.
3 months 4 days ago #98516

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks for that! I downloaded the beta build and tried out the simulators. The simulator worked and did not crash (crashed every time before) so I am hopeful that this will now work in real life. Can't make it out tonight but hope to do so soon. Fingers crossed that this works! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
3 months 3 days ago #98536

Awesome!

Best of luck!! Hope you get some clear skies!
3 months 3 days ago #98540

Time to create page: 0.828 seconds