INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding calibration with scheduler

• Thank you received: 20
Hi all,
I'm currently working on testing the scheduler. Up to now I just just the capture tab, tonight will be the first scheduler session with one target.

I've stumbled over the following question: guiding calibration should be done (at least to my knowledge) at roughly 0° DEC around meridian. So what should I do if I have a target with high declination and have to calibrate? This is not optimal for guiding calibration. So how to proceed here? Of course I could calibrate befor starting the scheduler, but that should be the way?

Thanks for clarification :-)
3 months 4 hours ago #98471

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 566
Juergen,

First off, I highly recommend using the scheduler even when capturing just one target. I use it for all my imaging (OK, except for say capturing flats at the start of a night).

Re guiding calibration--yes, you've found one more place where I don't use it ;). However, let me say this about that. I'd recommend taking the approach that you should calibrate carefully once (including carefully choosing the spot in the sky to calibrate), and then try to keep/re-use that calibration for as long as possible (e.g. months if the guide camera and guide optics stay aligned). If you're assembling your optics at the start of each night, then yes, you'd need to recalibrate then, but you could do this recalibration as part of your telescope construction (e.g. along with polar alignment). It is not only Ekos, but the PHD2 folks also recommend you calibrate carefully once, and then keep that calibration as long as it would be valid.

Hy
2 months 4 weeks ago #98484

• Thank you received: 20
Thank you for your reply and clarification, Hy. I always reuse calibration if possible but I change my rig depending on the target, so I have to recalibrate sometimes. But now its clear to do that before starting the scheduler.
2 months 4 weeks ago #98485

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds