INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New All Sky camera management software: indi-allsky

• Thank you received: 41
Yes correct!
I saw the video here www.facebook.com/watch/?v=781066203866776 , and then searched my recordings. I was lucky enough that there was a gap into clouds there :-)

Then www.noakobservatory.gr/indexen.php informed our greek astrophotography discord group about the allsky7net.
2 months 2 days ago #99349

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hmmm so this adapter limits the RPI HD cam capabilities, correct?
2 months 2 days ago #99350

• Thank you received: 14
Euripides was that a question for me ?
The piHQ camera is an IMX477 - no flashing required - maybe remove IR filter. Long exposures fine.
The IMX462 is from Arducam and needs flashing for best result. It is not too good if used out of the box.
It is 2MP but very good images if stacked.
Nick
2 months 2 days ago #99351

Yes. The adapter above "Arducam IMX477 UVC Camera Adapter Board for 12MP Raspberry Pi HQ Camera with Single Microphone" says that it converts the pi HQ (IMX477) cam into a USB cam.

So in theory that will do the job.
2 months 2 days ago #99352

• Thank you received: 14
Yes but then doesn't it just become a webcam ? Back to same problem.
You will be talking to the adapter not the camera directly. You will be getting video output.
You wont get the same as using it natively via libcamera. Maybe I am wrong ?
N
2 months 2 days ago #99357

• Thank you received: 66
I generally try to steer people away from the UVC interfaces for allsky cameras. They effectively become video streaming only devices, which severely limit the image quality. They absolutely can be used with indi-allsky, but in a more limited fashion. I believe you would use the indi_webcam_ccd driver.

Some people have also successfully used the inexpensive Reolink, Amcrest, etc network security web cameras as allsky cameras. There are limits to controls and image quality, but I have seen some respectable results and would definitely be sufficient for monitoring weather/clouds. I built the "PyCurl Camera" driver in indi-allsky for this purpose. The network camera controls all aspects of its own exposure and quality. This driver just downloads the latest image from the camera and uses it for the image stream.

Here is an example built by Brian Dougherty:

More information about the build:
github.com/aaronwmorris/indi-allsky/discussions/949
The following user(s) said Thank You: Euripides
2 months 2 days ago #99358

• Thank you received: 16
I want to change the subject:

I’m running Indi-Allsky on a Raspberry Pi and it works extremely well. But I’ve had a few hiccups. These have been caused by running out of storage (both on the SD card and then later on the emergency (mostly full) SSD I pressed into service.

More recently the problem was environmental: here in rural France our power lines are suspended from poles instead of being buried, so we get frequent short power cuts when there are storms. R-Pi’s don’t like this, so in the last storm I shut it down completely (after several outages).

After some of these interruptions I find the database can’t link to the existing data files.

How can I regenerate these links?

Thanks,
Richard
2 months 21 hours ago #99384

2 months 21 hours ago #99385

Hi Aaron,

I'm having problems with this. i have moved my image storage to an attached SSD. Maybe I didn't chose it wisely, but the path to the new location is /media/francis/AllskyDisk/allsky/www/html/allsky/images

When I rebuilt the database earlier this morning I made an error -- I had forgotten to cd to the indi-allsky directory so setting the environment didn't work. Then when I changed directory I forgot to set the environment, so flask had loads of unresolved modules and I had installed about 8 or 9 when I checked the history and found my error.

So I went back to square 1 and followed the instructions. However, after that I could not connect to the web-pages at all. I did get to a login page but it din't recognise my name/password.

Eventually I used setup.sh again and got it back to working, but everything is as new. None of my customisations have survived. And the images are being stored locally on the pi again. I changed the location in the image config page, but then no further images were displayed.

I rebuilt the databases again, following instructions exactly, but again I can't link to the web server any more. And no new images seem to be stored anywhere (but the older ones are there).

I did not see, in the instructions to rebuild the database, where I tell it the location of the images. And of course there are some in the default location, which were taken today before I reset the path. So if it's just looking there first, then it will find them.
Last edit: 2 months 3 hours ago by Richard Francis.
2 months 3 hours ago #99410

The location of the images is within the config json, which is stored in the DB. You can manually edit this from the command line:
source virtualenv/indi-allsky/bin/activate

./config.py edit

The setting you are looking for is IMAGE_FOLDER
Last edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Aaron Morris.
1 month 4 weeks ago #99418

When I was saying nothing worked anymore, I meant that I got an error 500 each time I tried to access the web pages, and no images were being added to the image directories, either in /var or on the external drive.

SO today I rebuilt the database again, following the instructions exactly. Just before step 8 (import images and videos) I changed the location of the image folder, as in your last post. It did find the existing images (at least it reported a lot of images found). And for the darks I could verify that it had found the good ones.

However, even though I followed step 10, restart web services ( systemctl --user start gunicorn-indi-allsky.socket ), I still get an error 500 when I try to access the pi at raspberrypi.local/indi-allsky/

I still seem to be stuck.
1 month 4 weeks ago #99421

You may need to clear your cookies in case the old session data is causing the 500 error.

The exception data will be available in /var/log/indi-allsky/webapp-indi-allsky.log
1 month 4 weeks ago #99441

Time to create page: 0.953 seconds