INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

red buttons in EKOS under CGEM Mount - Site Management

• Thank you received: 17
I am running Astroberry 2 server on an Rpi 4 with a GPS, CGEM mount plus cameras and filter wheel. All the equipment connects fine either thru just Kstars/EKOS or running the AstroBerry server. The GPS is found and the time and location default to the GPS unless I tell it otherwise. The time in Kstars is correct, the geographic location says - GPS Location and in the left panel the Map shows me where I am supposed to be. I spent a significant amount of time getting my 'rules' correct as both the GPS and the Mount are on serial adapter. But running ls -la /dev shows me
ttyGPS --> ttyUSB0
ttyMNT --> ttyUSB1
so that all seems to be working, ok.

It is important that the equipment (as a whole) knows where it is because I want to do polar alignment and the pole hour angle needs to be correct.

Anyway, almost all the little 'dots' on the left side of the Indi control panel screens are green, with the exception of the CGEM Mount time and location, in the Site Management tab. They are red; however the UTC time is correct and the hour offset is also correct. The location is a bit more problematic. The Latitude is correct, but the Longitude reads +76.xxx degrees instead of -76.xxx degrees. And to the right of those boxes are the GPS coordinates with Longitude reading 283.xxx degrees (Latitude is correct). Obviously, 283 degrees is - 76 degrees depending on how you are counting. If I try and "set" that reading the little red "button" goes momentarily green but then back to red and the number in the Longitude box does not change and remains +76.xxx. So the question is does that indicate 76 degrees West or East?

I am not sure this is a problem, as I have in the past been successful in doing a polar alignment, but I don't recall when I was successful what the condition of those buttons were. I am trying to be systematic in setting up the equipment because the program is 'complex' and you need to have all your settings correct. So these red 'buttons' disturb me.

I turned on debugging and have logs, but I don't see anything there that addresses this. And, unfortunately, tonight I have shut everything down, so I someone wants to see logs they will have to wait until tomorrow. But I thought I would just ask about it anyway.

thanks,
Ron
4 years 1 day ago #53151

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
KStars is using 0-360 for longitude, so negative numbers are invalid for KStars.
How do you get coordinates from GPS to KStars? Is is through INDI GPSD driver? If not, try adding it to your EKOS profile and check the results.
4 years 1 day ago #53171

Ok, I do have GPSD in my profile, my profile also includes the mount, cameras,filterwheel and a selection for the main and guide telescopes, see screen shot.

However, I selected Kstars updates all devices in Kstars config and when I start Kstars I select my Geographic location (custom added to list), just in case the GPS does not have a fix. My Rpi is on an Ethernet cable to my home network and the internet. When I start Kstars it shows the correct time, geographic location and the weather app is also correct. I then start EKOS and enable my profile.

Let me first just connect my CGEM mount, the connection is fine, but if I look at options there is no telescope selected. I thought I read somewhere that it is better to put the telescope info in the profile, rather than enter it in this options page, but that dot is red and there is no scope info from the profile?

Next I look at Site Management. The UTC time and Offset are correct for my location, although I don't know where the offset on the right side comes from, but I cannot change this anyway. The Scope location is correct on the right hand side (given that Longitude is 0 - 360 ( I don't know where it got the elevation number from?). But the left hand side Longitude reads + 76, which leaves me confused as to where it really thinks the scope is located. Also, both buttons are red and clicking on Set does not change them.

In the next post I will connect the GPS in my profile.

thanks,
Ron
4 years 1 day ago #53183
Attachments:

Sorry I got pictures 1 and 2 flipped around in the previous post.

Ron
4 years 1 day ago #53184

Next I will connect to GPSD and I get the message that it will take preference by default if I don't select otherwise. I let it go to the default, GPS controls time and location for Kstars. Now the Kstars main window says GPS location, the time is correct.
The GPS has a fix and the Lat and Lon are just as they were in the previous image, only this time from the GPS instead of the Geographic location. Time source indicates GPS rather than System.

Nothing in the CGEM Mount Site Management window has changed. The Time, UTC Offset, the Lat and the Lon and elevation numbers are all the same and both buttons are still red. Once again clicking on set only momentarily turns the button green (in a flash) and then it goes back to red.

I would like to get this resolved before I proceed. As I mentioned in the past I have used the polar alignment and plate solving to solve and slew with success, but I don't recall what this particular page looked like then. I have not changed the version of Astroberry that I am running.
tonights log indicates: Build 2020-01-06T10:36:16Z

I will attache the log below.

thanks,
Ron
4 years 1 day ago #53185
Attachments:

NOTE: all of the above was done using VNC to access the RPI and run Kstars. I did not use the Astroberry Server, but my experience last night was that the results were the same, but I will check again.

thanks,
Ron
4 years 1 day ago #53187

Ok, well it turns out my mount may have had a funky setting in its internal location. I reset the mount and entered the correct coordinates and then started Kstars thru the Astroberry Server. Now things are looking much better. the telescope information was there in options and the Site Management had the correct Lat and Lon.

So chalk one up to make sure you start from the right beginning point!

thanks,
Ron
4 years 1 day ago #53188

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.919 seconds