INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Service not available

• Thank you received: 5
From time to time my floating menu ceases to work (see screenshot). Both the GPS and the Polaris Hough Angle Indicator are being affected. Alternatively to the message on the screenshot I see a grumpy smiley.
Does anybody know, why that is and how to remedy it ? Depending on the situation I had luck with doing an update / upgrade via "sudo apt-get" or with plugging in certain USB devices prior to startup. I tried to bring the menu back with "sudo systemctl restart GPSD.service", but this did not work....
Any advice is highly appreciated.
Ah, forgot to mention: the GPSD service seems to work ok, as the indi-GPSD works.

3 years 9 months ago #56887
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by John Robison on topic Service not available

Hello,

AstroPI3 is a Script process built and maintained rlancaste. Some tools are included to validate INDIWEBMANAGER needs. INDIWEBMANAGERAPP is one of them. It enumerates the INDIWEBMANAGER log.

Another way requires a valid syslog management process and a working syslog tool. I use this app gnome-system. I load INDIWEBMANAGER log to view the issues. Use either to capture the issues. This is what I use. I figure the problem out with these tools.

Usually, a service is trying to run before it’s predecessor has started. Or the default EKOS web profile selected does not have any of its devices attached. Or an EKOS web profile has not been established. The Log file will tell the problem.

The Simulator EKOS WEB profile is useful to see it working. Create a Simulator Telescope profile with INDIWEBMANAGER. This will establish a profile, like GPS panel. I use it to test if GPSD is working after changes.

Recently, I discovered INDI logging wasn’t working. Apparently, an .indi log path was not created with rights. I created the missing folder and INDI was logging again.
3 years 9 months ago #56926

Replied by Dirk Tetzlaff on topic Service not available

Hello AradoSKYIndi,
thank you very much for your response. I did not even understand half of what you said here, but I hope I will become better at understanding linux / linux based systems...
Based on your comments I started INDIWebManagerApp (this already was a challenge for me). I set a tick-mark at "manager log file" and rebooted. This apparently was enough to bring the floating panel back. I than checked the log, but this was only a very brief from the last session and included the shutdown of Indiwebmanager.
Another confusion for me is your reply referring to AstroPi3. Is Astroberry based on AstroPi3 ? Please forgive my stupid questions, but I am quite new to this...
Cheers & many thanks

Dirk
3 years 9 months ago #56943

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by John Robison on topic Service not available

Hello,

AstroPI3 is a script package for Raspberry PI 3, 3B+, and 4b which adds tools and extras he found to be usefull. I found the extra tools to be very usefull. Here is the link.

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

AstroPI3 is an addon and should not be considered as part of Astroberry. Some things work great. Others conflict with INDIWEBMANGER while at the same time helping the same. For example, I was chasing down a file conflict between GPSPanel, VirtualGPS, and GPSD. They were all fighting access to /tmp/vgps. In fact, I kept watching the rights go from GPSD and Dialup to Root and Dialup. GPSD was locked out. It was shutting down GPSD. This of course shutdown GPSPANEL and VirtualGPS. Needless to say, i shut INDIWEBMANAGER and the GPSPANEL and VIRTUALGPS off. It was impacting KSTARS and EKOS. I am now back to normal.
3 years 9 months ago #56953

• Thank you received: 375
The root cause of this issue is sliding panel services are stopped for some reason. They need to be restarted to get things working. You can achieve this by running:
sudo systemctl restart gpspanel.service
sudo systemctl restart astropanel.service
sudo systemctl restart indiwebmanager.service

Depending on which panel is down.

NO NEED to mess around with the system with external tools, including Robert's AstroPi scripts. You should stick to tools provided by distribution. Otherwise you will end up with unstable system.
3 years 9 months ago #57763

Replied by Dirk Tetzlaff on topic Service not available

Dear Kaczorek,
many thanks your reply. This information is exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers
Dirk
3 years 9 months ago #57917

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.682 seconds