INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroBerry configurations

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Last night became clear. I got setup to begin observing. GPSD is working. Polar alignment works well. The moon is rising. Jupiter and Saturn are rising. Andromeda is in view. I seek Andromeda and slew to the expected view. Nothing but empty. Next time, I will add a red dot to watch how INDI and the scope are traveling.

I seem to have missed a configuration. Or something is missing. The moon is east southeast to me this makes a meridian flip. Even Jupiter and Saturn start the same but are nearly south of me. I took pictures to explain my problem.

This is where KSTARS thinks the moon is. The moon maybe rising in another part of the world or a different date. But it is not below the horizon.

GPSD is working. Its UTC time is correct. KSTARS says the Date is July 31. Hmm... the PI date is July 31. I thought adding an RTC to the PI was supposed to prevent Drift or Time slew. SET TIME to Now starts to alter KSTARS to July 31. July 31 is the last time I had it internet connected to get updates.

Bummer. I set the UTC time manually. PI and KSTARS are both saying today. The moon pictures are after setting UTC time. When I compare Cassiopeia with Polaris to KSTARS, they kind of match. I will add a red dot to check the sync between KSTARS and the Scope. Neither are in sync.

EQMOD shows the Scope on Polaris. Sync shows EQMOD on target. If EQMOD is on target, what did I miss to produce my pictures?
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by John Robison.
3 years 9 months ago #57753
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic AstroBerry configurations

If you have an actual GPS, then load the GPSD driver into Kstars.
Configure Kstars to get its time from the GPS
In Astroberry, be sure to disable the Virtual GPS service.

Review that you have followed the advice here: www.astroberry.io/docs/index.php?title=A...Server#Configuration
3 years 9 months ago #57754

a

Hello,

I just looked at the configuration page. Yes, the GPSD sets Time for the Mount and KSTARS. This is standard with my configuration.

As stated, GPSD gives the correct UTC. The PI said July 31. KSTARS said July 31. Something says that GPSD is not permeating thru KSTARS. EQMOD does get GPSD data.

To me, KSTARS and INDI are at odds with each other. KSTARS says GPS location and is correct. The time is the missing item. To be stuck at my last update date seems like something is missing. Also, EQMOD is set to Auto. To me, Polaris is north. My location is east of the Mississippi but west of the Meridian , -4. The GPSD agrees. I am West pointing East.

To be inverted and not pointing south-souteast and up 40 degrees is what I am looking to resolve. Going to Andromeda, the Mount is below the target and looking into space. KSTARS shows the travel as the Mount rotates to target. Without a red dot to confirm the path taken, the visual is empty space while KSTARS and EQMOD are on target.

The mount is a Vixen SP. RA=144=DEC. I use 3:1 belt gears. Motors are NEMA 17 1.8 degrees step.

I manually tracked Jupiter and Saturn. I was able to see moons and rings. Just not by KSTARS. KSTARS points to the ground and never behind meridian to both targets. A disconnect between KSTARS with EQMOD and the physical device is obvious. The path to these objects is 100% different that what KSTARS selects. In my solution, the RA is pointing east and nearly horizontal to the ground. KSTARS RA heads west and gets stuck. I abort the west.

Next time, I will get out my Joystick. I would like to teach KSTARS the correct path to objects opposite of Polaris. I will seek how KSTARS and INDI think they are at.
3 years 9 months ago #57770

Hello,

Something is off. I think it is partly due to a faulty motor. But not that bad. Jupiter and Saturn are near each other in the sky. According to KSTARS they above the horizon and South.

The scope is pointing to the ground. If I manually move the scope in INDI, KSTARS says I am below the Horizon. I think something is not right between what INDI, KSTARS, EQMOD, and AstroEQ.

It looks like KSTARS is moving faster than the mount is going. KSTARS stops in the middle of going there.

This is the destination. It never gets there.

3 years 9 months ago #57840
Attachments:

Hello,

Looks like I need to invest in a tool. I am looking at the belts and timing gears. That is my issue.
3 years 9 months ago #57866

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.600 seconds