Unfortunately, the debug session did not happen yet. The weather did not cooperate.
But preparing for it, I stepped into some problem. I got crashes while connected with simulator - actually on processing the first message. My last check was with 1.9.0 (I think). Are there any substantial changes in the API in last few revisions. I had no time yet to go deeper with this. At the moment, the driver does not work with 1.9.3. I will try to fix it ASAP. The problem seems to be connected with logging functions in the message processing procedure.
BTW. I have corrected dependencies in the debian packaging for the whole 3rdparty tree. I think it needs more work still, and probably some higher level scripting to build the entire tree as debian packages.
I actually just ran a quick session with indi_celestron_aux and it worked fine. No crashes, and it slewed and tracked fine. It took the "long" way to the star, but I guess that's something internal about cable wraps?
Great! That may be a problem with the simulator, then.
Was your test run against 1.9.3 and recent kstars?
I will check again with the real mount and maybe debug the simulator.
The long way around is as you guessed, activated cable wrap protection.
You can switch it off in the driver.
It should. It is a similar device to the one inside evolution mounts. I do not know if it was tested, but I think that Fabricio's mount is connected by this adapter (SkyFi). It is just a serial<->WiFi bridge.
We have finally tested the driver with Maciek, by remote connection - worked surprisingly well. I was controlling his setup from kstars - all drivers on his side (astroberry).
- Internal plugin works OK. There is still room for improvement, but it was fairly functional.
- The Nearest plugin did not work good enough. The errors were much larger and the tracking was much worse. It was essentially unusable.
- The weather stopped our session, so no tests for the SVD plugin
The kstars crashed with segfault if connected by ekos. If connected by device manager an later by ekos the device control dialog had duplicated tabs but it worked.
let me start by saying thank you for developing the plugin. It brings me one more step towards my goal of simply putting up the telescope outside and do all my aligning and observation from inside the house.
I have been testing the Celestron AUX driver in the last couple of days using my real mount and the CCD simulator to be weather independent while it is cloudy outside. I can reproduce the tracking problems using the Nearest Plugin simply by doing continuous exposures using the simulator. You can clearly see the start wandering out of the frame. Once I switched to the Internal plugin those problems went away.