INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Manually Setting the Home Position Coordinates in Ekos

• Thank you received: 1
Hello, I am working on integrating a new mount (Takahashi EM-11 Jr) with Kstars, and am having a problem with kstars thinking the mount is located 6 less hours in RA than it actually is. For example, if I slew to a given star from the home position, the telescope will point to the correct Dec, but it will slew to the object's RA + 6 hours. I could fool Kstars by just manually pointing to the star after the slew, but when I go to park at the end of the night I would have to manually adjust it again.

Now I believe the problem is that Kstars is assuming the incorrect RA for the home position. The home position currently has the RA set to LST, but I believe it should actually be LST + 6. This is because if the RA were actually set to LST at the home position, it would be able to point to the zenith by moving only the DEC axis, but this is not the case. If you were to rotate the DEC axis by roughly 90 degrees from the home position, it should point toward the horizon, which is 6 hours off of LST.

So long story short, is there a way for me to set the home position to RA= LST + 6 hours? I have tried changing it in the driver settings, but it always just changes back to LST.

Thanks!
2 years 7 months ago #75765

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thank you for the report, I'm unfamiliar with the mount internals, but this is how the temma driver initiates parking position:
if (InitPark())
        {
            // If loading parking data is successful, we just set the default parking values.
            SetAxis1ParkDefault(range24(lst + 3 / 60.0));
            SetAxis2ParkDefault(Latitude >= 0 ? 90 : -90);
        }
        else
        {
            // Otherwise, we set all parking data to default in case no parking data is found.
            SetAxis1Park(range24(lst + 3 / 60.0));
            SetAxis2Park(Latitude >= 0 ? 90 : -90);
            SetAxis1ParkDefault(range24(lst + 3 / 60.0));
            SetAxis2ParkDefault(Latitude >= 0 ? 90 : -90);
        }

So looks like it's assumed for some reason be LST + 3 minutes. Is there a standard for All EM-11 mounts? It's always LST + 6 ?
2 years 7 months ago #75782

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if there is a standard for all of these mounts, but I know that Takahashi has not changed the driver software in many years. I wonder what others' experiences have been with the Takahashi mounts and if they got things to work with the default settings. There has to be a reason it's set to LST + 3 minutes, and I wonder if it may just be an issue with my specific mount.

In the meantime, if you could show me how to navigate to the driver file I could try changing the home position to LST + 6 and report back.

Oh, and I just wanted to mention that I've checked the location and time settings several times over, and everything checks out.

Thanks for looking in to this!
2 years 7 months ago #75787

Sure, you can just edit lines 181 & 187 in Temma Driver
2 years 7 months ago #75794

I guess what I meant to ask is, how can I find the driver file on my raspberry pi? It seems there are a lot of system files to search through...
2 years 7 months ago #75799

Okay, I've looked through almost every directory on my pi, and I cannot for the life of me find the Temma driver file. I even tried searching for it using the "find" command, but came up empty. Yet I know it's on here because it's an option in ekos and I can connect to the mount. How can I find the driver file on the pi so that I can edit it?
2 years 7 months ago #75963

• Thank you received: 223
You would need to clone the github repo github.com/indilib/indi.git first, edit the file(s), compile + install & test
2 years 7 months ago #75964

Okay, this set me on the right track and I was able to make the necessary changes and download the revised indi repository. Now that I've done this, how can I integrate these changes with ekos so that it uses the new indi depository instead of the original one?

I really appreciate the help!
2 years 7 months ago #75994

• Thank you received: 223
You could just for example compile after your edits but not install the full indi. Just copy the binary that you need over the current one (take a backup first).
2 years 7 months ago #75996

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds