INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can't select guide cam as guider

• Thank you received: 161
I'm observing for the first time since last fall, running the very latest indi and kstars (compiled from git today).

I've got two scopes working in parallel: A 107/525 refractor with an ASI 294MC-Pro and a 102/1000 refractor with the ASI 294MC as guider. I've set up two trains accordingly.
Usually I select my guide cam as guider since pulse guiding doesn't work correctly with my G11. However, this is the first time that my guide cam doesn't show up in the list of guiders. "Losmandy Gemini" is the only option there. The resulting catastrophic guiding is a show-stopper for me.

IMO the 294MC should show up in the list of guiders just like the Losmandy Gemini. Is this a bug or did I miss anything that I should have configured differently?
10 months 2 weeks ago #93371
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 566
Alfred,

Are you talking about setting up the optical train?
If so, the 'guider' field you set up there is the mount name -- it means the device that receives the guiding pulses.
So, e.g., for me, my primary optical train has my main camera as the camera with its usual accessories and no 'guider' filled in.
My secondary optical train has the guiding camera set as the camera, and the mount set up as the 'guider'.
Jasem has a video on setting up optical trains.
I then set the guiding tab to use my secondary optical train, and all the other tabs to us the primary one.

Here's are screenshots of my optical trains, in case that's helpful.
Hy

10 months 2 weeks ago #93372
Attachments:

Hy wrote: "Are you talking about setting up the optical train?
If so, the 'guider' field you set up there is the mount name -- it means the device that receives the guiding pulses."

Thanks a lot, Hy, this is exactly what I am talking about. The device that receives the guiding pulses should be my guiding cam as it forwards these pulses via ST-4 port to my mount. Unfortunately my guide cam no longer shows up in the list. It did for years.
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Alfred.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93374

• Thank you received: 566
What confuses me is that you say that the guiding camera has “been on the list for years”, but optical trans hasn’t been around for very many releases, certainly not years. What list are you talking about? Please share a screenshot.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93380

Today's "guider" (in optical train setup) is the equivalent of previous versions' "guiding via" setting. One could choose between mount and guidecam (in case it had an ST-4 port). The "guider" field in optical trains setup should have the exact same functionality.

Unfortunately I can't produce a screenshot since I do not have a "pre-optical-trains" version of kstars anymore. But should the current situation continue, I'd have no other option than roll back to a much older version.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93382

Last fall, when I used kstars "in production" for the last time, I think optical trains had been established already. I THINK (but cannot prove it and of course I could be wrong) back then the option to guide via ST-4 still existed since I had not run into yesterday's problem where the ST-4 guider cam was no longer available and I had to resort to pulse guiding which is essentially unusable with my G-11.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93383

It all boils down to the question: How do I configure kstars to use my guide cam's ST-4 port today?
10 months 2 weeks ago #93384

• Thank you received: 1
Well that might explain why my guide calibration didn’t work last night. I’ve returned to AP after a 2 yr break and tried imaging last night. My calibration would either fail or if it did ‘succeed’ my guiding would fly off in both RA and Dec. After reading this post I noticed that I had my guiding optical train ion correctly setup. I was confused by what should go into the Guider field so I tried leaving it blank or putting the guide camera in their so that I had the guide camera in both the Camera and Guider field.

I’m assuming this is why my calibration failed?

So reading this I should put in my mount (EQ Mod)? That should make it work?

Rene
10 months 2 weeks ago #93385

Yes, your mount should receive the guiding pulses so choose your mount and this should fix it for you.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93387

Very strange things happen here. I tried the driver indi_asi_st4 to no avail. I then selected "ASI Camera 1" as Camera 1 and "ASI Camera 2" as Camera 2 in "Profiles Editor - Select Devices" (instead of "ZWO CCD" in both fields) and for whatever reason now the "guider" list does show Losmandy Gemini and ASI 294MC as well! I then reverted to "ASI CCD" in Profiles Editor and the ASI *still* is available as "guider".

Too bad I didn't take a screenshot yesterday night when the ASI 294MC did not show up there.

So for now it appears the issue just disappeared. I'm truly sorry for any trouble my postings might have caused. Should the issue re-occur, I'll post it here.

Just as an aside: The term "guider" in optical train setup is unclear/confusing (as evidenced by Rene's and several other postings). Something like "guiding via" (as it was labeled before) or "guiding pulses go to" would cause less confusion. Available options should be labeled "mount" and "ST-4 camera port" or similarly.

Alfred
10 months 2 weeks ago #93388

Please check INDI Control Panel --> ASI --> General --> Interface

What interface number is reported?
10 months 2 weeks ago #93391

Today the 294MC reports 6 and the 294MC-Pro reports 2.
I don't know whether these figures were the same when the issue occurred.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93398

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds