INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can't select guide cam as guider

• Thank you received: 1
Well that might explain why my guide calibration didn’t work last night. I’ve returned to AP after a 2 yr break and tried imaging last night. My calibration would either fail or if it did ‘succeed’ my guiding would fly off in both RA and Dec. After reading this post I noticed that I had my guiding optical train ion correctly setup. I was confused by what should go into the Guider field so I tried leaving it blank or putting the guide camera in their so that I had the guide camera in both the Camera and Guider field.

I’m assuming this is why my calibration failed?

So reading this I should put in my mount (EQ Mod)? That should make it work?

Rene
10 months 2 weeks ago #93385

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161
Yes, your mount should receive the guiding pulses so choose your mount and this should fix it for you.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93387

Very strange things happen here. I tried the driver indi_asi_st4 to no avail. I then selected "ASI Camera 1" as Camera 1 and "ASI Camera 2" as Camera 2 in "Profiles Editor - Select Devices" (instead of "ZWO CCD" in both fields) and for whatever reason now the "guider" list does show Losmandy Gemini and ASI 294MC as well! I then reverted to "ASI CCD" in Profiles Editor and the ASI *still* is available as "guider".

Too bad I didn't take a screenshot yesterday night when the ASI 294MC did not show up there.

So for now it appears the issue just disappeared. I'm truly sorry for any trouble my postings might have caused. Should the issue re-occur, I'll post it here.

Just as an aside: The term "guider" in optical train setup is unclear/confusing (as evidenced by Rene's and several other postings). Something like "guiding via" (as it was labeled before) or "guiding pulses go to" would cause less confusion. Available options should be labeled "mount" and "ST-4 camera port" or similarly.

Alfred
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Alfred.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93388

Please check INDI Control Panel --> ASI --> General --> Interface

What interface number is reported?
10 months 2 weeks ago #93391

Today the 294MC reports 6 and the 294MC-Pro reports 2.
I don't know whether these figures were the same when the issue occurred.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93398

These numbers are correct. Not sure why they wouldn't show up in the "Guider" list.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93402

Same here. The guide cam was recognized and I was able to shoot images using it. But it was not listed under "guider" in train setup. Weird. I almost hope the issue reoccurs so we can find out what was going wrong. For the time being, I'm glad to have my ST-4 port back.
10 months 2 weeks ago #93409

It happened again. Twice tonight. Have to quit now. Both cameras did show "Interface 2" in "General Info" field.
And there are more problems with the ASIs. The 294MC-Pro's gain setting was reset to 0 several times during the session without any reason as far as I can tell. I had to reset it to 120 by hand multiple times, save settings, but shortly thereafter it was reset to 0 again.
10 months 1 week ago #93486

Regarding gain being reset to zero I suspect what happens is this:

1. In my case the gain field in the CCD tab is being left blank ("-"), so the Indi-saved value of 120 is being used and displayed.
2. During a focus run gain is set to 0 as (it appears to me) the focus tab behaves differently (compared to the CCD tab) and doesn't care about Indi-saved settings. It overwrites the gain value and sets it to 0.
3. After the focus run when the CCD tab retakes control, the gain value remains what it is, which now is 0.

That could be the reason why I started out taking subs at gain=120 and later figured subs were taken at gain=0 (although I never actively configured it to be 0).

The fact that (as I believe) the focus TAB behaves differently compared to the CCD tab needs to be changed. As long as no specific gain value has been set by the user, it should be left untouched. The default value in focus TAB should be "-" rather than 0. Same as in the CCD tab.
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Alfred.
10 months 1 week ago #93504

Is there anything that I can do to prevent both cameras from claiming the same Interface?
10 months 1 week ago #93549

I can't reproduce this behavior with simulators... so does this happen all the time or it's random?
10 months 1 week ago #93564

It's random. Sometimes both cams are allocated Interface no. 2. On other occasions the 294MC gets interface 6.

Where is the logic situated that decides which interface number goes to what camera?
10 months 1 week ago #93569

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds