INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

HiPS Overlay FITS Viewer feature

In 3.6.6 I added a new feature in the FITS Viewer to overlay DSS on the image with some transparency (50% by default and can be changed in Configure KStars --> FITS). All that is required is a FITS image with WCS headers.

One issue I ran into and is yet unresolved is that of projection system. The DSS image is drawn using a project instance (that defaults to Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area) and while this a good approximation, I can't get a 100% matching overlay without adjusting offsets in the FITS settings window. Akarsh suggested we use Gnomic projection since it is what a perfect camera would capture, but that didn't make much of a difference. I think the issue is probably related the optical system of the image, each optical system is probably unique and comes with its own distortions and aberrations. At least this is my theory as to why I can't get a 100% match between the DSS overlay and the captured images. Thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Studio, Matteo, Juan Daniel
9 months 6 days ago #94144
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
Great addition!

It would be beneficial if this could be added to the Setup tab on the preview window too (while having live stacking capability there would be even greater!)
9 months 5 days ago #94149

Jasem, I can see that the feature is not working both on StellarMate OS and Mac OS Kstars version nor on FITS viewer or Preview window.
Are any additional steps needed?

What is the amount of offset you are referring to?

8 months 3 weeks ago #94465
Attachments:

It only works with offline DSS overlay now.
8 months 3 weeks ago #94467

Jasem, do you mean with those packages? Cause this is how I use it.

Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Euripides.
8 months 3 weeks ago #94469
Attachments:

Yes these should work. Can you share a link to the FITS file above?
8 months 3 weeks ago #94470

8 months 3 weeks ago #94472

To anyone who may concern, the features works if you turn on the "Auto WCS" option.

But @Jasem, the HIPS offset doesn't seem to have any effect. I can't see any overall movement, both on the preview window or FITS viewer.

In addition to that, I've tried to open the same FITS file on my Mac and it doesn't work, nor on the StellarMate app.

Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Euripides.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94502
Attachments:

so it depends if FITSViewer has this feature working? I think DSS Offline is probably not properly set.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94506

I've noticed that I had the Auto WCS feature unchecked, back from the old RPI days :-)

Yesterday I captured with this setting ON and instantly the feature worked on my StellarMare OS mini PC, except for the offset feature. I've messed around quite a bit with those numbers and I couldn't see any change.

My previous post above with the HIPS files, is from my Mac. I think that this is all we have to do for the DSS offline. After a few minutes, this pop-up appeared.

8 months 2 weeks ago #94513
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

I´m not sure if I configured everything fine, but it is not working for me.

I downloaded the DSS files from another post (I think Euripides sent the link a year ago, Norder 1 to 5) and I put them in /usr/share/kstars. I configured Kstars to read the DSS files from this folder:

I also checked the auto WCS option:

But when I open an image I taked some weeks ago with the fits viewer, new button to see the HIPS doesn´t appear:

Does it only works with images taked with auto WCS option checked? Or I forgot something.

Another question I have is: is auto WCS too heavy for a RPi4?

Thanks and regards.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94692
Attachments:

Just checking: Did you try to maximize the window? For example, my images automatically have this size window, and as you can see there is a gap between the EQ grid and Histogram, exactly like yours.

But if I change the window size, all the icons are right there:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Juan Daniel
8 months 2 weeks ago #94694
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.963 seconds