INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Alignment Issue - Wildly inaccurate results

• Thank you received: 16
I haven't had my AVX mount for a couple of years but I do remember that I needed to do an align before I could use Ekos. There was a discussion 3 years back about an AVX doing weird things which I replied to... www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/7156-mount-...-me/55522.html#55522

In any case the comment in my reply helped me remember the steps I used with my AVX, I set it up roughly polar aligned then when powering up I did a Quick Align. That skipped having to do star alignments with an eyepiece and allowed the mount to think it was aligned. Then I did a polar alignment with the polar alignment tool. Once that is done using Kstars/Ekos I could pick a couple of stars to goto then use the alignment tool with sync to mount.

About picking your camera. The latest version uses Optical Trains. There a drop down at the top of the Alignment tool to pick your optical train. You can also edit your optical trains by clicking on the pencil icon next to the drop down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Cohen
6 months 2 weeks ago #96556

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8
Thanks, Tunafish!
Tonight, QuickAlign worked. Last night it failed, which is why I fell back on One-Star. I don't see much difference.
Anyway, tonight, Ekos Align worked. Last night it didn't. The only difference I can identify is that I entered the Aperture and Focal Length. II think it's a bug that these aren't persisted when you save the INDI settings. I already had the Optical Train set up.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96560

• Thank you received: 34
To post an image here you need to save it on your local drive and then upload here. Click the editor button first and you will see an Attachments button appear. Good luck.
Ref your issue with Err, here is what normally happens
Align tries to match the first time and you may get an Err in Red if it hasnt come close.
It will reattempt after slewing and this process could take several iterations.
Finally you will get the message you have posted
2023-10-17T22:04:04 Target is within <strong>162° 25' 42"</strong> degrees of solution coordinates.
At this point the Err box should show a set of coords in Green.
Hope this makes sense
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by AstroMuni.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96565

Duh, the Attachments button! I was only looking at the "image" button.
Really, the UI of this forum site leaves much tp be desired.
Another pet peeve of mine: with the entire site: is there a way to change the color scheme? It seems to be assumed that these forums are only used "in the field" where light pollution must be avoided at all costs. But this grey on black business makes it very hard for me to use it. I typically interact with this site during the day and find these pages hard to read in bright light.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96573

On the inaccurate results message, your explanation doesn't make much sense to me. In the cases I was complaining about, for whatever reason, the Align tool never came to a successful conclusion, so all I saw was the red error message, which was just a bunch of big nimbers of no use to me. Similarly, the log message

2023-10-17T22:04:04 Target is within 162° 25' 42" degrees of solution coordinates.
doesn't tell me anything other than that something is FUBAR. 162° is almost half the sky. What can I do with that? For some reason, last night, as opposed to the night before, the darned thing worked. I wish I knew why.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96574

• Thank you received: 87
Don't plate-solve near Polaris (if you do).
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96575

• Thank you received: 94
"is there a way to change the color scheme?"

6 months 1 week ago #96586
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 34
<code>"Steve Cohen post=96574 userid=8905"]On the inaccurate results message, your explanation doesn't make much sense to me. In the cases I was complaining about, for whatever reason, the Align tool never came to a successful conclusion, so all I saw was the red error message, which was just a bunch of big nimbers of no use to me. Similarly, the log message

2023-10-17T22:04:04 Target is within 162° 25' 42" degrees of solution coordinates.
doesn't tell me anything other than that something is FUBAR. 162° is almost half the sky. What can I do with that? For some reason, last night, as opposed to the night before, the darned thing worked. I wish I knew why."</code>

I suspect it was because Ekos didnt manage to figure out the FOV etc, hence concluded it was all within the acceptable range. Now that your optical train is sorted you can check in the Align tab if the FOV , FL and F-ratio look correct.
Also check under Options/ Index files if the recommended files are loaded.
Good luck :-)

PS: And yes, the forum website is not the most userfriendly :-(
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by AstroMuni.
6 months 1 week ago #96587

I was speaking of the INDI website’s color scheme, not that of KStars, which, yes, I’ve already changed.
6 months 1 week ago #96588

Another frustrating night.
Turn on scope, Quick Align.
Start KStars and Ekos.
Slew scope to Vega and get the following screen:

(Update - the forum software ate my image and instead tells me I don't have permission to access the page. But there was a screenshot here when I created the post)
(Update 2, try renaming file and see if it works)

Looking at the log, I see that the solver completed in 7.26 seconds. The target was within 3/4 of a degree of the solution. That was close enough to show up in the screen shot. This was not within the target accuracy of 50 arcsec. So it tried again. After almost four minutes it decided that things weren't good, and decided to solve with a "blind image scale" whatever that is. This went on for nine minutes and I gave up. How long is it reasonable to expect this process to take? What is "blind image scale"? Why does the process seem like it only gets worse, not better?

The screenshot show the settings that were used. What would be the suggested modifications to make the alignment process work?
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Steve Cohen.
6 months 1 week ago #96593
Attachments:

Grrrrrr! My last message attached a screenshot .png image of 765 KB, much less than the 4MB limit. Why, instead of seeing that image do I see text saying "You do not have permission to access this page."?
6 months 1 week ago #96594

Answering my own question, it seems that my initial alignment relative to the CNP was about 3/4 of a degree off. Doing the Celestron Quick Align first doesn't do anything except tell clients like Ekos that everything is okay. But my 3/4 degree inaccuracy, apparently, is enough error so that the Ekos alignment function (after slewing with Ekos to Vega) will fail. The Ekos "Polar Alignment" function also fails quickly. I thought the Ekos Alignment module would help me but it appears there are some unstated limits about how close to perfect Polar alignment the mount has to be in initially in order to begin.
6 months 1 week ago #96597

Time to create page: 0.664 seconds