INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Starlight Instruments EFS Focusing System - Reverse Motor Setting -Temp Setting

• Thank you received: 2
I recently acquired a Starlight Instruments EFS controller hub with a purchase of a Stellarvue scope. The scope is fitted with a Optec Quicklynx motor (apparently the same as the HSM30). and I also received the Optic FocusLynx controller Hub. I am able to connect to the focus motor using the Starlight EFS driver (which btw although available in the list in EKOS, does not appear in the list of focusers in the INDI list) but unlike the OPtec driver and the drivers in ASCOM, the INDI Starlight EFS Driver does not have a REVERSE motor function and as such, the directions are not correct in commands to the focus motor. Any suggestions? Can the driver be updated with the REVERSE Motor choice? Thanks! Steve G.
5 months 1 week ago #97214

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I tested the new Reverse Motor addition to the driver and function of the driver. The driver connects and the Reverse Motor button is there and can be selected. All the indicators are Green. The Absolute position does not correctly show.If I unlock the clutch and move the focuser manually to the maximum outward position and then set the Sync to 65352 for instance to register the position at maximum outward location, the Absolute position then registers at that position (as it should). I then try Focus inward, with Reverse Motion enabled, by setting the Relative Focus at 5000.00 and again, with Reverse enabled, as well as Focus Inward (since I am at the maximum outward location from above), when I hit the Set button to move the Focuser Inward, nothing happens at all. If I move the focuser manually by unlocking the clutch and moving it to the center to check the motions, the Absolute position (although still green) does not change at all so the driver does not seem to properly be updating. I also then try to move the focuser Inward or Outward but cannot get it to move using either the Focus Inward or Focus Outward buttons. Clearly, something is not correct. I have tested the EFS module and the Quicksync Motor using Windows / Ascom and NINA and interestingly, in that software, the unit DOES NOT use the Reverse motor setting so I am now thinking that, given that information, the EFS module itself does not require the Reverse direction setting. Nevertheless, I am not able to get the EFS module to function properly with INDI and EKOS. I think I saw another posting about the EFS module that indicated they could not get the motor to move with the driver, so my suspicion is that the driver itself is not correctly programmed. Oh well. If this can be can done, it would be great. Otherwise, I guess the EFS module and driver in EKOS simply cannot be made to function properly.
4 months 3 weeks ago #97461

4 months 3 weeks ago #97470

I tried again. Initially the motor seemed to work but then stopped working. I checked the motor with my other controller, the Focus Lynx and using the Focus Lynx driver and all works fine, so it is not the motor itself. I turned on logs (I think).

File Attachment:

File Name: log_06-23-39.txt
File Size:2,319 KB

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Name: log_06-59-59.txt
File Size:4 KB

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

4 months 3 weeks ago #97472
Attachments:

Jasem. I did testing of the Starlight EFS module and the motor today with your updated driver and using cables that I know work as well as with a motor that I know works (having tested it extensively using the WIndows driver and software) and I am happy to report that the INDI driver works correctly! Your added Reverse Direction button works correctly. So Thank Your very much!!
In reviewing the Starlight EFS driver in detail, I see that several functions that are present in the Windows Driver are missing in the INDI driver:
1) "preferred Direction" (In, Out)
2) Optimize Motor for: Speed / Torque
3) Optimize Braking for: Low Power / Breaking Strength
4) Temperature Compensation - Available (or not per check box) and Coefficient / Hysteresis values
5) Reverse Handset Knob checkbox
6) Lock on Disconnect checkbox
7) Lock Mode Breaking (No power, Low Power, Same as Non-Lock)
Since you were able to add the Reverse Motor Direction choice, I assume you have the Starlight Instruments specs.

I realize this is a lot to add, but having all the correct driver options allows proper use of the EFS module in INDI.
Unfortunately, I myself am not a programmer or I would certainly help in trying to add all the functionality.
I hope you or one of the people on the team can address these.
KStars / EKOS is an awesome piece of software. Thanks so very much for all your efforts.
I would like to make a Holiday donation to the effort. How woudl I do so?
Thanks again for all you do!!
Steve / Jazzyguitar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 months 2 weeks ago #97554

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds