INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Crash to desktop with malloc()

• Thank you received: 3
Hello and thank you to everyone for this wonderful project.

I am plagued by sudden crashes of Kstars during imaging. Since I run automatically while sleeping etc, I am not usually around to restart the system so lose a lot of precious clear night-time.

Nothing in the kstars logs, however one clue might be that it always(?) happens after

"org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "Guiding resumed."

verbose logging on :).

In the system logs (running Ubuntu) I have this entry:

"malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)"

I have now 93 entries of malloc accumulated over a year or so :(.

So it has something to do with memory and happens when guiding resumes.

Anyone have any clues how I can fix this?
Cheers
Hinorthastro
3 months 1 week ago #98188

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 566
What version of the software are you running? What computer? How much memory? How much VM?

I ask because a couple years back there were memory issues related to StellarSolver, and StellarSolver is called when guiding runs (to detect stars). There have also been issues related to FITSViewers not returning memory (the work-around was to not display images once you went to bed ;) ), though I think all those issues are fixed in recent releases.

I suppose, if you are a coder and you are using the latest software and you want to dig into it, you could run KStars under GDB and get the stack trace at the crash, though this is often at a different place than the real memory issue. Also Jasem has a Ekos Debugger you can run with: indilib.org/forum/ekos/7245-new-tool-ekos-debugger.html

Hy
3 months 1 week ago #98189

Hello, thanks
This is on 3.6.8 stable. (noticed there was a newer one but haven't yet updated since it has been clear a couple of nights)
Computer has 8 Gb of RAM which I monitored with top and hovers around 3Gb total., 1 for Kstars. It is an old computer but seems pretty ok for this. Havent checked if it goes up during guiding starting though.
Don't know how to monitor VM I am afraid
Also noticed some reports of troubles with the FITS-viewer so turned that off but did not change anything.
Thanks for the tip of Ekos debugger
I dont know how to code.
Cheers
3 months 1 week ago #98191

Just adding another datapoint to this:
Tried with another computer today running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (the other one is 23.10)
Same crash after about an hour of imaging with the last entry in Kstars log being
"PlayerOne CCD Uranus-C : "[INFO] Taking a 60 seconds frame... "
Trying with Ekos debugger now but cant get it to work with starting indi from the debugger.
Cheers!
3 months 1 week ago #98219

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds