INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Esatto focuser temperature not updating

• Thank you received: 18
The serial write error is not reproducible and I have seen the temperature update with the newly modified driver from GitHub. I am now on business travel so can’t do comprehensive testing to confirm it is well and truly fixed but will do so on my return. My other system has a Nitecrawler focuser and the temperature does update there so it isn’t a common issue across different devices although it could be in other drivers I suppose.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96389

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 281
There are few things here:

1. Thomas had/has a problem with his Esatto. Jasem pushed a fix which initially appeared to have a problem but on retrying appeared to work. The initially reported problem looks to be fixed but there may/may not be a serial write issue - Thomas will do more testing when he has time.

2. Fitchie, are you on the latest version of the Esatto driver (it was fixed a couple of days ago). If not, can you try that please. If its still a problem please post a log with verbose Indi, focus driver and focus ticked.

3. Alessandro, since you have a MyFocuser2 if you are not getting temperature updates then this is likely a separate issue so can you please post a log with verbose Indi, focus driver and focus set.

Thanks all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dahu, Thomas Mason
6 months 2 weeks ago #96395

• Thank you received: 3
Just re-compiled a fresh indilib, and ran a test against an Esatto3 focuser, using CCDCiel as the Indi client : on my side, the external temperature sensor issue is fixed, as the temperature is updated every 5 or 6 seconds.
Thanks to the developper(s).

Dahu
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
6 months 2 weeks ago #96402

• Thank you received: 23
@John

Fitchie, are you on the latest version of the Esatto driver (it was fixed a couple of days ago). If not, can you try that please. If it's still a problem please post a log with verbose Indi, focus driver and focus ticked.

No, I didn't but do now. B)
Temperature is updated each 5 seconds.

Thanks!
6 months 1 week ago #96549

The serial write issue has never reoccurred but I am having issues with temperature update. I am running the latest Esatto firmware (3.5.13) and kstars 3.6.7 with the driver updated from git. The temperature seems to update sporadically and goes long periods without updating despite varying outdoor temperature.
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Thomas Mason.
5 months 3 weeks ago #96936

Hi Thomas,

Good news on the serial write error. I think we can say that that was a one-off and no longer an issue.

On the sporadic temperature updates... the driver updates temperature every 10th polling period. So, if you poll the focuser (setting in Indi tab) say every 2s, I would expect a temperature update every 20s.

I suppose a way to check.this would be to put the temperature in a rapidly changing temperature environment and see what the update frequency is in Ekos.
5 months 3 weeks ago #96940

The polling period is 500 ms which is the default I think and consistent with others observations of temperature updates every 5 seconds. In my case it appears the temperature only updates when I do a focus run which means adaptive focus doesn't do anything. Since the 5 second interval was ccdciel I wonder if kstars could be the problem.
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Thomas Mason.
5 months 3 weeks ago #96995

I think there's a bug in the Esatto driver where it looks to be incorrectly throttling the temperature updates (my guess is that its just luck / bad luck that you got updates during an autofocus run). Hopefully Jasem can fix it.
5 months 2 weeks ago #97010

Hi Thomas,

Jasem just pushed a fix for this so if you download the latest driver and rebuild Indi, you'll be able to retest.
5 months 2 weeks ago #97019

Its cloudy tonight so I can't do a full test on adaptive focus but it does look like the temperature is updating more regularly with the change.
5 months 2 weeks ago #97041

Time to create page: 0.455 seconds