INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick control for Celestron Nexstar Mount and Focuser

• Thank you received: 1
Hi, what is the best way to control a Celestron Nexstar mount and the Celestron focuser with a joystick?
I have tried using the nexstar mount driver, that controls the focuser via the mount an can use the joystick. However the joystick configuration tab doesn’t seem to include any focuser commands. 
When trying an alternative route of using the Celestron Aux driver and connecting the focuser separately via serial port and Celestron SC focuser driver the joystick only seems to work with the mount driver, but not with the focuser driver. 
Most likely I am missing something. What is the recommended approach for doing this?

Michael
2 years 6 months ago #76698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Celestron Aux + Celestron Focuser + Joystick should in principle work as the focuser driver is a separate entity. In the focuser driver, if joystick is enabled in Options, you cannot control it?
2 years 6 months ago #76721

Hi Jassem, thanks for the response.
Good to know that the 2nd scenario should work. I did not see a reaction from the focuser. However, in the meantime I double checked and apparently I missed that the focuser is triggered only once when the joystick button is pressed, rather than keeping to focus in or out as long as it is held. So it works in principle, but it may be quite hard to manually focus that way. Unfortunately it is not recommended to have the aux connection active while the focuser is controlled via the serial port, so the hand controller can not be used for manual focusing in that scenario. 
To your knowledge are there any plans to add joystick focuser options to the nexstar driver? Or alternatively focuser support to the Aux driver?

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 6 months ago #76726

I think implementing focuser support in the AUX driver is the right way to go about this. Maybe I'll have time to check how to do this in the code.
2 years 6 months ago #76728

That sounds great. I noticed that the focuser support in the Nexstar driver doesn’t include the backlash configuration, so having all the functionality in one driver would be a great improvement.
2 years 6 months ago #77209

Time to create page: 1.178 seconds