INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Fits Viewer OOM crash

• Thank you received: 9
When I have the fits viewer enabled in the settings: "Use FITS viewer" kstars and some other things get killed by the OOM killer. I don't have details on what exactly the settings need to be for this to happen, but I do know that if I uncheck "User FITS viewer" in the settings I no longer run out of memory. This is on a MeLe quieter 3q with 8G of memory.

I believe that this has been an issue for some time, I just noticed it recently when the fits setting was enabled by mistake.

Jamie
11 months 2 days ago #93027

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Fits Viewer OOM crash

Yes reported but I have never been able to re-create this OOM condition. You know if KStars memory was increasing over time?
11 months 2 days ago #93036

Yes kstars was the definitely very large. I have the log, I'll share it tomorrow. I'll try to find the root cause as well. I suspect it was keeping each image by design, and ran out of ram. Maybe we could have an upper limit, or save images to disk if that is the case.
11 months 1 day ago #93048

I can reproduce continual memory growth with the following settings

photos.app.goo.gl/yvcYfuejsKtr3agM7

[66612.456121] oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0,global_oom,task_memcg=/system.slice/system-vncerver.slice/vncerver@1.service,task=kstars,pid=3666,uid=1000
[66612.456201] Out of memory: Killed process 3666 (kstars) total-vm:10258436kB, anon-rss:6521364kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:8012kB, UID:1000 pgtables:16720kB oom_score_adj:0

I think that the feature of retaining all images in ram should be removed, or changed to have a max ram footprint.

I've heard several people complain about stability of kstars. I suspect that this issue is a large source of peoples perceived crashes, although they are actually OOM kills. I can take a look at making a change to fix this. I believe that it also happens with other fits viewer setting combinations.

Jamie
11 months 1 day ago #93054

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Fits Viewer OOM crash

oh you unchecked "Single Preview Tab" which made each image shows up in its OWN tab. Single Preview Tab is enabled by default so you had to explicitly toggle it off to cause this. Anyway, the fix for this is easy now.
11 months 1 day ago #93065

Yes I did uncheck "Single Preview Tab" and it did make things grow very fast. Should there be an upper limit on the number of tabs, or can we disable the multiple tabs feature, or is there a better way? I'm not sure if anyone uses the multiple tabs since it's so likely to consume all the ram.

I came across the issue recently with "single preview tab" selected. It takes longer but still runs out of ram and get's killed by the oom killer. I have it running now and can see that kstars RSS is growing. It's at a slower rate then with multiple tabs, but it's still growing. I'm going to let it run today, I expect it will get an OOM sometime today. I'll post here if it does.

Jamie
11 months 14 hours ago #93071

I was not able to reproduce the OOM kill with this setup along with "Single Preview Tab" checked. I did have several nights where the OOM kill happened while imaging last week. The setup was different though, so I'm trying to repro it again with a setup closer to what it was last week.

There were two major differences last week:
1 last week I was using phd2 to guide
2 last week I was using an automated sequence

I've changed the test setup to have those two things and I'm trying to repro it again.
Last edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by James Amendolagine.
10 months 4 weeks ago #93084

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds