INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

MacOS version of kstars 3.6.6 damaged?

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
While adding a personal terrain - This is a second one I'm adding for a different location - I had a mishap where the planetarium was no longer showing any stars or DSOs just a black round sphere. shutting down the app didn't help and then trying again after restarting the computer didn't help. I decided to redownload the macOS version of Kstars 3.6.6 but when I tried to open it says: “kstars.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.. I tried to download it on another Mac laptop and got the same result. Is anyone else having the same issue?

Thank you,
Eli
8 months 2 weeks ago #95083

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30
Hi Eli! I have had an "old" download of 3.6.6 so I'm able to launch that version. However the KStars nightly MacOS builds have been broken (in exactly the way you describe) for a number of days and haven't been fixed. Perhaps this is also impacting downloads of 3.6.6 now as well? I know that Jasem is aware of this and it could be a problem with the site(s) that host the downloads but it is very frustrating.
8 months 2 weeks ago #95085

Hi Fred,

Thank you for letting me know! When I downloaded 3.6.6 when it was first released it was fine. I'm glad to hear my computers didn't spontaneous decide to revolt against me or kstars :)

Thank you,
Eli
8 months 2 weeks ago #95086

• Thank you received: 1
Hey all,

I found a work around for the Mac.

This process worked for me.

osxdaily.com/2019/02/13/fix-app-damaged-...ned-trash-error-mac/

You should be able to run this command on the newly installed app:
xattr -cr /Applications/kstars.app

I don't typically post in forums, but I was so excited I fixed it I had to create an account so I could post. Hope this helps.

niv:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 months 1 week ago #95256

It appears the binary factory releases are building again now. Can someone check if they still need this fix or it's been resolved?
8 months 1 week ago #95257

• Thank you received: 1
I renamed the app I had gotten to work to kstars1.app

I then downloaded the installer again and ran it.

I opened the app. I get the same error.

I then tried my renamed app, it launches still.

Hope this helps.

Niv:)
8 months 1 week ago #95258

I just downloaded and attempted a fresh install. It still returns a damaged error. It appears that suddenly it's not getting through some Apple security protocol. An earlier release of 3.6.6 didn't have this issue. The work around posted above works but a lot of people will not feel comfortable using the terminal to circumvent the security protocols in place. I hope that there will still be a fix coming so using the terminal will not be necessary.

Thank you,
Eli
8 months 1 week ago #95259

• Thank you received: 30
I just went to kstars.kde.org and got the same file damaged error from what I downloaded there.

BUT, when I download the nightly MacOS build from binary-factory.kde.org/job/KStars_Nightly_macos/, it works! So, it's odd that the stable release continues to have the problem while the nightlies seem to work now.

While I know that people may not want to mess with the Terminal and the xattr command, if you trust the download source and you have no other way of running KStars, this is a temporary solution. Here is another article on the same topic: www.howtogeek.com/803598/app-is-damaged-and-cant-be-opened/.

Good luck and hope this gets fixed soon!
8 months 1 week ago #95273

Time to create page: 0.892 seconds