INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Some issues with Kstars

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
I think maybe this isn’t the right place to post about Kstars issues but couldn’t find another. If I should post in another forum please let me know.

I’m usingthe latest version of Kstars 3.6.6 on an M1 Mac mini. I’ve been having a lot of fun setting up the planetarium program for my preferences and ran into some bugs I think or maybe don’t have preferences set up right:

1. I’ve added my terrain and that worked great. I then tried to use my terrain to add points in the horizon manager and for the azimuth I get these nonsense values (seen in attachment) like degrees that are above 360. Also once I press apply nothing happens.

2. I’ve been trying to set up an observation wishlist. Love the wizard by the way!!! However, none of the save buttons seem to work - I especially would prefer to “save as” so that I can make different wishlist based on type. I keep getting an error message that an empty table can’t be saved even though the table is populated.

3. The sky chart color scheme doesn’t seem to work. It’s supposed to give a black and white picture (which I would love to export and print for regions on interest). All the color schemes seem to be set up right and the Milkyway does take an off white color but the background is still dark and stars are colored (as seen in attachment).

4. This is probably very low hanging fruit but thought I’d mention it since I noticed. I should be able to change the color schemes of different objects to them easier to identify at a glance. For instance the Messier objects are set to green but it doesn’t seem to work - all DSOs are the same color (image attached).

If anyone can help or advise or confirm if these are in fact bugs that would be great.

Thank you!
Eli
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Eli Ron.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95656
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Euripides on topic Some issues with Kstars

About horizon, I would personally strongly advise if you have an Android phone or a 360 camera, to set your real, your actual horizon. I believe that it is just great and easier to plan your sessions etc.

www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/9035-new-feat...rounds.html?start=48

Now about the horizon manager, I can see that after adding a Region, I can place all the points I want and after hitting apply, the Red area appears.

I believe that the Save buttons are only for the Observation List, not for the WishList. (Tooltip says that too).
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Euripides.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95667
Attachments:

Replied by Eli Ron on topic Some issues with Kstars

Hi Euripides,

thank you so much for your reply and the pics. I didn't have any problems adding a pic of the terrain but I can'r get the horizon overlay. You're are absolutely right - the terrain layout has been incredibly useful but I've always found it to be a cluttered look and distracting - my personal issues with how I work best. I used the terrain to make my own text file and used it to make a horizon file for Cartes du Ciel - where it works great and find it much more comfortable for me to use. I still would prefer to use kstars but for some reason I don't understand when I add the points to the horizon manager I get weird values as can be seen in the attachment. When I hit the apply button nothing happens.

Thank you
Eli
7 months 2 weeks ago #95672
Attachments:

Ok, so I've made some progress. I managed to get the artificial horizon to show by toggling on the opaque background. It's a bit odd with the opaque background in my opinion but it works and I'm glad I can use it. Also, as was mentioned observation list that is saved is for the session planer not for the wishlist so that works well now too.

Still trying to make the Star chart color scheme to present the correct colors... anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Eli
7 months 2 weeks ago #95743

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Some issues with Kstars

Hi Eli,

I noticed the same strange behaviour of linkage between opaque horizon and the artificial horizon which I mentioned in another post. The colour schemes dont all work for me too and I think its a known issue on the Mac.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95747

Hi AstroMuni,
Thank you for the confirmation. That's what I thought - have you tried the Macintosh theme - really buggy. Hopefully we can get them to pay some more attention to kstars. It is great what is being done with ekos though and the indi drivers. In my opinion this is by far the best platform available for Mac.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95764

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Some issues with Kstars

The challenge that the Kstars team had was shortage of developers who could assist with developing & testing on the Mac.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95771

Understood. Well, I’d be happy to test the heck out of any development version if it helps :). I think Macs are getting more popular so hopefully the number of developers will increase.

Eli
7 months 2 weeks ago #95788

Time to create page: 0.967 seconds