INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

How to force Telescope Simulator to always track

1 year 1 month ago
kamisan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40433
Quick background: I don't have a go-to mount but I use KStars/Ekos to visualize where the scope is pointing after a plate solve using Telescope Simulator.

The telescope simulator's icon (bull's eye with cross hairs) syncs after a plate solve but then immediately starts drifting eastward. To stop it I have to click on KStar's menu: Pointing -> Engage Tracking. The annoying thing is I have to Engage Tracking quite a lot. I tried INDI control panel settings but found nothing there that had any effect. There could be some setting in KStars that I am unaware of.

So this was just a minor annoyance until recently when I began doing photometry where AIRMASS (in the FITS header) is important.

I just discovered that when Ekos captures a frame it writes these keywords in the FITS header: OBJCTRA, OBJCTDEC, RA, DEC, and AIRMASS. The problem is that the values are coming from the Telescope Simulator, not the last Plate Solve! That means that if I don't engage tracking in KStars and then start a 10 frame capture sequence, the position of the object changes with each new frame.

Is there a way to permanently turn on tracking?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40434
When you start Ekos with the simulators simply go to the Mount tab and enable tracking there.

ASI6200 and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

1 year 1 month ago 1 year 1 month ago by kamisan.
kamisan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40435
I'll take a look at it again. Last night I am 99.9% positive I did that but still the simulator was very eager to switch off tracking after a plate solve.

Perhaps it is the type of plate solve I do: "Sync".

1 year 1 month ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40436
I would have been very surprised if you hadn’t done that. FWIW, when a sync is done, the mount is informed at which coordinates it is pointing and it continues tracking.

ASI6200 and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

1 year 1 month ago 1 year 1 month ago by kamisan.
kamisan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40438
You know, I was just thinking, I tried to engage tracking from INDI control panel. Tonight I will try from the Ekos mount tab.

1 year 1 month ago
kamisan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40441
Yep, that was it, the Mount tab in Ekos. Saves me a lot of work repairing FITS headers!

Thanks.

1 year 1 month ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
How to force Telescope Simulator to always track #40442
Great! I'm glad you found the reason for tracking switching off all the time.

Time to create page: 0.748 seconds