INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help - Plate solving became very problematic

• Thank you received: 566
Chris,

The time limit on Solving is in the StellarSolver settings.

I believe there are one or two place where the timeout is shortened to a quicker timeout (e.g. one is in the polar-align refresh where the timeout is ~10seconds because it first attempts to use the same index file are previously solved).

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Kuethe
8 months 2 weeks ago #94707
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Plate solving is still failing, I tried for 45 minutes last evening to get it to work. I tried exposures from 1 to 10 seconds, iso form 100 to 1600 and binning from 1 to 3x3. It worked about 30% of attempts.
I saved several of the failiors and tried to solve them in stand alone astap, those were by in large succful. Are there kstars configuration parameters that feed online astap? Is there an astap error log?
8 months 2 weeks ago #94748

• Thank you received: 25
Thanks. Mine was set to the default 600, but that also seems to have not aborted the extra long solve attempt illustrated above. I've set it to 60 now, and I'll leave logging turned on in case it happens again. It's pretty rare... maybe once a month it feels like.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94750

We have 2 threads in one here. As the OP is there a way to separate them? The original issue still remains a problem.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94754

Is there documentation fof the parameters above?
8 months 2 weeks ago #94800

• Thank you received: 74
Hi Dan

Did you try the source extraction method 'Internal SEP' together with Solving Method 'Local Astrometry'? I'm getting best and fastest results with this combination. (However you have to download all the required index files.) BTW, did you activate and update 'Use Scale' & 'Auto Update' and 'Use Position' & 'Auto Update' in 'Scale & Position' of the solver options?

Which 'Solver Profiles' do you use / did you try?

Concerning ASTAP, I used to run 'astap' directly (standalone) for better insights. (I have to remark, that ASTAP failed always with focal distances > 2700mm!)
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Toni Schriber.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94802

Thank you. We had company and am now waiting for clear skys. Friday night is looking good. I will try these.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94882

• Thank you received: 0
I have the same problem. Last week I updated my Pi, (Stellarmate) and plate solving become imposible. I run everything on the Pi, and never had any problem before.
I tried all the different methods, but nothing worked. Quite frustrating...
8 months 1 week ago #94901

The only thing that was updated was default Align profile. It's not set to "Default" instead of "Small". Changing align profile makes any difference?
8 months 1 week ago #94905

I did set it back to small and we had clear skys last night; the results were much better.
I am still looking for the astap logs. Offline experimenting with astap indicate it needs on the order to 100 stars to solve. A few of the test cases had less than that and they failed. All the cases with 100 plus worked. When it fails it would sure help to have the log.
8 months 1 week ago #94948

• Thank you received: 0

Thanks Jasem, I will check this out at the next clear night.
8 months 1 week ago #94949

Ok if it is confirmed by more users, we might need to revert to small scale even though "Default" should cover most cases.
8 months 1 week ago #94953

Time to create page: 2.856 seconds