INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Leaving Astroberry - Questions on StellarMate

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I am at a point where I can no longer wait on Astroberry. It is unclear if maintenance will resume. I've really appreciated and enjoyed using it for the time but I am no longer able to continue use due to needs for updated indi core and 3rd party which will not build with the 1.9.7 version of indi.
With that said, I would like to move over to StellarMate OS.
  1. Is migration possible or will I need to flash a new image on formatted card?
  2. My question here is more about my profile, if there is a way to re-import. Additionally, I am concerned with my PHD2 PEC data. If I lost them both it wouldn't be a show stopper.
  3. Is StellarMate continually/regularly updated with latest master of indi core and 3rdparty?
  4. I found the change log
  5. Is StellarMate 64bit?
  6. I see on the downloads page that the distribution is 64bit
I will be running on an rPi 4 B 8GB with 128GB card

Best,
Doug
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Douglas Reynolds.
8 months 2 days ago #95181

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
Yes you have to reflash the card. Is not possibile upgrade the operating system.
You have two ways, buy StellarMateOS that is ready to run, or install yourself an operating system like RaspbianOS 64bit and all the stuffs.
You can export INDI profile that shoult be located in the home user's directory under the .indi folder, there are others setting into .kstars folder like user preferences, etc.

Due the very large different in version 3.6.0 VS 3.6.6, I think that it is better to not waste time because something culd not be compatible
The following user(s) said Thank You: Douglas Reynolds
8 months 2 days ago #95185

Thanks so much Alessandro!
8 months 2 days ago #95186

Follow-up Question.
I see from StellarMate manual www.stellarmate.com/help/ConnectingFocusers.html that they indicate focusers that are supported are listed on the INDI devices > focusers page.
While mine is not listed on that page, it is included in the indi-3rdparty repository.
Are the 3rdparty libraries included in the StellarMate distribution, or, can devices in 3rdparty be built? I am specifically interested in indi-astroasis.

Best,
Doug
8 months 2 days ago #95188

I found this tweet from StellarMate on Twitter verifying support for Astroasis Focuser: Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration
8 months 2 days ago #95189

• Thank you received: 23
Yes, 3rdparty "drivers" could be installed as addons, in your case indi-astroasis that has been builded last 2023-08-04
8 months 2 days ago #95191

• Thank you received: 14
You have two choices... you can either burn out your own OS (suggest Ubuntu) on the RPi 4 and then install EKOS/Kstars on it. That's what I did on my Orange Pi 3 . I did this to see how it would work since at the time the RPi was hard to get and when you could get them they were expensive. I got the Orange Pi3 for something like $40.
The second is purchase StellarMate OS and get the the app phone/tablet app also.
The benefit of Stellarmate (the RPi version and the NUC version) is it comes with a nice phone app that, even if you don't choose to control it from it, makes it nice to do quick checks if you aren't out with the equipment.
As for migration... it's a fresh burn. If your data is in a format you can copy to external media, then you should be able to copy it and then place it on the new device.
I've got both my RPi 4's (1 4GB and 1 8GB) set aside now as I decided I wanted something a little faster with better quality storage media, so went with both an Intel NUC and a BeeLink U59 Pro .
The U59 Pro has some issues with WiFi.
Having fun learning about the cosmos.
I also run an astrophotography site as a hobby.
Last edit: 8 months 1 day ago by Tracy Perry.
8 months 2 days ago #95192

Thank you!
I ended up nuking my card and purchased a StellarMate license. Spent a bit setting it all back up again. Big thunderstorm came in, of course. Will hopefully be able to get some testing in tomorrow evening and start running sessions again.

Best,
Doug
8 months 1 day ago #95196

• Thank you received: 14
One thing to be SURE you do for plate solving (or really for good plate solving) is go into your options on the Alignment tab and download the extra index files.
You need at least down to 4205/5205 (2Mass & Tycho2/Gaia). You will need to change the index files location to get them to download as the default area you cannot write to. You just click on the box and choose the local stellarmate user storage location.
Having fun learning about the cosmos.
I also run an astrophotography site as a hobby.
Last edit: 8 months 1 day ago by Tracy Perry.
8 months 1 day ago #95198

• Thank you received: 50
In his latest posting on the Astroberry Users group on Facebook, Radek (the guy who does all the work to keep Astroberry Server working and up to date), gives us hope that his development and availability of Astroberry 3 is not so far in the future!
8 months 1 day ago #95211
Attachments:

Yes, it was one of the first things I did during my setup. I did not download all of them but I did all of the required as well as many of the recommended. Good tip because initially i was scratching my head wondering why some files were greyed out. As soon as I switched to my user location they then became available.
8 months 2 hours ago #95246

I also saw mention of 3.0 in the Astroberry Github issues: github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server/issues/221
8 months 1 hour ago #95247

Time to create page: 0.684 seconds