INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate OS --> Run TheSkyX Locally for my Paramount MX.

• Thank you received: 12
I was about to pull the trigger on purchasing Stellarmate X for miniPC so I can get access to the android app. But then it occurred to me, Can I install TheSkyX on this platform? There shouldn't be a reason I cannot, but it's worth asking before I get it. I currently run Ubuntu 23.04 on a AMD MiniPC, and of course Im running kstars/ekos/phd and TSX on the same physical computer. The documentation says that the paramount needs TSX running on the "same network". Same PC is on the same network, but not necessarily what that meant. :)

Are there any restrictions on installing it? What about other software? I have a lot of scripts, VPN and other software I use so Id need to be able to do that without too much problem. I assume it is Debian based.

As an aside, I think it would be better to offer a "connector" for the app included in the purchase price to make the app work. I can't imagine it's all that different than kstars/ekos etc, and I already have access to Stellarmate Live. I just want to make use of the android app. Id rather not re-image my 2500KM away observatory. At the moment the only way would be to buy a new miniPC, amazon it to a friend in the area, have him set it all up, and go physically install it.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Bryan
3 months 1 week ago #98192

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
I think I can answer my own question using the Pi version of stellarmate which I own. Im installing TSX now. The experience is pretty awful on a Pi4 with a SD card, but I think it will work. Not really sure why I thought it wouldn't but you never know.

Id still love to see a connector to make the app work. Could even be a separate license fee. Jasem, have you thought about this? I realize support could be a hassle, but it could be an "unsupported" feature.

I guess the last thing keeping me from trying to get stellarmate X setup on a miniPC is latency. Has anyone used the app over WAN? I use tailscale as a VPN, and can confirm that I can connect to the Pi running stellarmate os from the app by targeting the tailscale IP address. But connecting over a local network through the VPN stack is not the same as connecting to it over the internet. I know that using indi drivers for cameras and such directly over WAN is pretty slow over my setup so I run kstars locally and VNC into the observatory currently. The app Im guessing is sending compressed images for display, so maybe it won't be an issue. Id love to hear anyone's experiences with this. I have 300/30Mbps cable at my house in Mexico, and 100/100Mbps fiber at the observatory in the central mountains of Colorado. Then I guess the images would upload via Nextcloud which I would also install on stellarmate. So they would sync in the background back to my server.

Thanks for looking!

Bryan
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Bryan Ramsey.
3 months 1 week ago #98213

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds