I did find 3 asteroids (already known but not by me) by imaging an object over an extended period of time with multiple exposures. The image sequence clearly showed 3 objects moving relative to the stable background stars. So the process is certainly viable.
Concerning the crashes of Ekos using a Raspberry Pi 4, that is what I use a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8 Gbits of memory, running EKOS 3.5.0. However, I too had crash issues, especially during plate solving before I changed the operating system to 64 bit Ubuntu. I found that the 32 bit operating system was not consistent in performing the plate solving operations and would sometimes crash. I consulted with someone involved in writing the PHD2 code and we concluded that changing to a 64 bit operating system resolve the issues and it did. I would suggest you explore that path as an option.