INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Local index files

• Thank you received: 5

Local index files was created by Kevin

Not sure if others have already run into this issue and already resolved it.

I was not able to plates of using the local or remote indexes with the 2.01 image. I noticed that there were two folders that were available to save the indexes. One folder did not work, so I use the second. In doing some troubleshooting I noticed that I couldn’t write to the original folder. So I found a command to change the permissions. I then moved all the index files. After doing this I was able to plates solve using either local or remote.

The folder that needed to be used was /user/share/astrometry

The command was, chmod -R 777 directory

Hope it helps others that run into this issue.

Kevin
3 years 10 months ago #54922

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Local index files

Hi Kevin,

This is normal behavior of Linux. /usr/share/astrometry is a system directory and therefore by default only can be written to by the root user. You could have copied the files as well using sudo instead of changing the access permissions. Or you could have put the files in a completely different directory and could have added that directory to the astrometry.net config file.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 10 months ago #54928

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Local index files

There is much easier solution, which does not require changing directory permissions.

- Start KStars and Ekos
- Go to Align tab in Ekos
- Click Options in bottom-right
- Go To Index Files
- Select locations for index files in drop-down menu called Index Files Location. It should be set to /home/astroberry/.local/share/kstars/astrometry (or whatever you user directory is)
- Select all required index files - they will be downloaded automatically for you. Note size of the files and be patient
- Enjoy!
3 years 10 months ago #54950

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Kevin on topic Local index files

Your directory suggestion was the second option, the directory that I could write to. I chose this initially, but after placing the index files there, they were not recognized. I had double checked the configuration file removed and re-added the directory in the config without any luck.

When I opened up the file explorer to find the directory I could not browse for it. I had to look for the .local specifically by typing the address or using terminal. Perhaps this was the reason why the indexes were not working there?

I was using the 2.0.1 image. I had done the apt updates as suggested. Maybe one of those change something. My solution may not be the most elegant but it worked. Thought I’d let everyone else know.

Kevin
3 years 10 months ago #54955

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Local index files

Your solution is absolutely fine and it uses default index file location for astrometry index files.
The directory I'm referring to is hidden (note a dot in directory name - it is standard linux notation for hidden files and directories) so to see it in file manager you need to enable displaying hidden files first. Unless you use midnight commander, which show hidden files by default.
If indexes placed in /home/astroberry/.local/share/kstars/astrometry were not working, it means that settings in /home/radek/.local/share/kstars/astrometry/astrometry.cfg were not ok. You should find a line in this file reading
add_path /home/astroberry/.local/share/kstars/astrometry
. You can add this line to /etc/astrometry.cfg which is default astrometry config file.
3 years 10 months ago #54956

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.594 seconds