INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

2 astroberry issues: Scaling and Saving location

• Thank you received: 0
A couple of nights ago, I took my raspberry pi with me in the field to test out astroberry! (Just the Pi4 connected to a Canon 60D to automate the imaging sequence)

Unfortunately, due to a couple of issues, it's not working as expected to the point where I feel like ditching Astroberry completely and going with manual tracking again. The issues at hand:

-Scaling:
I know the left slider panel has an option to do local scaling, where the desktop will scale according to the local screen resolution, but when I use that on my tablet (Huawei T3 7"), all buttons become so small I have to try multiple times to press the right button, and hope I dont press another button at the same time. Also because of this, the icons in the image preview (in the alignment tab for example) are so small I dont even know what I am pressing.
In a way, it would be easier to just have the remote scaling, and then being able to swipe through the desktop (just like Teamviewer does).

-Saving location:
No matter what I try, Ekos keeps downloading the images from my camera (Canon 60D), and it won't keep the images on the camera. Even when I take a picture with the physical trigger on my camera, nothing is saved on the SD card anymore. To me, this is a make-or-break kinda thing for me, as I would like to still be able to do manual focusing and seeing the shot images on the camera screen rather than on the tablet which has a relatively low resolution. Next to that, Id rather unplug the SD card from my camera and plug it into the PC rather than having to transfer GB's of images from the Pi to the PC.

(-Bonus issue: Performance:)
Is it possible that not having a powerful enough power bank (5V 1A) makes processes suuuuper slow? It took me 10' to get an indication of my polar alignment, and I resorted to just doing manual PA. After that, I couldnt even get plate solving done at all (let it run for 5')

Astroberry is a great idea and if it could deliver what it promises, I would just stick with it forever, but as of now, there are just some snags that keep me from loving it. Any chance I could get some help with it?
3 years 9 months ago #56600

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7
Hey. For the pi 4 it's recommended a 5v 3 A power supply

For the saving location problems: did you modify the settings in the indi control panel? You need to save the configuration also. You can save the images on the sd card and raspberry or on the raspberry alone. I recommend you to shoot in fits format and not raw. The benefits are: image is shown right after capture, you can load a fits file and slew to target (perfect when shooting for multiples nights on a target), target coordinates are written in the fits file, pixel size etc (perfect for editing software like pixinsight)
3 years 9 months ago #56604

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't set the right setting before, but I just tried it: Setting the save location to 'both' in both the INDI configuration as well as the capture tab, and it still doesn't seem to have any effect.
Next to that, it doesn't seem to save that setting either, so every time I connect, I need to set those settings again.

I also just noticed that I cannot do anything manually on my camera anymore. Earlier this week, I was able to focus manually, take shots manually WHILE being connected to Astroberry (though it didnt save the image). Its weird that the behaviour changed while I can't remember setting anything that could have caused this.
3 years 9 months ago #56606

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Open KSTARS. Open EKOS. Click on LOGS. See what granularity are the settings and the default paths. All logs are supposed to be contained under the .indi folder. If EKOS cannot log, paths are missing or rights are not assigned. Start here. Saving config options are contained in this same folder.

Get verbose and save to a file. The ASTROBERRY experience is immersive when things are common and used by developers. Anything different from common is custom. INDI logging is pretty good. INDI complains very well about its decencies to the OS.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by John Robison.
3 years 9 months ago #56928

I set these logging settings. Am I supposed to see the logs to see what is going on? It still does not save on the SD card
3 years 9 months ago #57221

• Thank you received: 375
Instead of local scaling, you should use panning (lock to screen). This way you can keep original resolution and move the screen around easily.
Regarding Canon experience...
First, what you consider an issue with manual control of a camera while connected to raspberry... is actually a feature not a bug. This is how GPhoto library works. You either control your camera manually or delegate control to USB port.
If you want to control your camera manually you should not use GPhoto driver. Instead you need external shutter controler or just use Magic Lantern for your Canon. This will also be answer to your question on image destination i.e. images will be saved to SD card.
3 years 8 months ago #57766

I guess being able to control the camera from 2 places does not make sense. Ill do focusing and framing manually before connecting the camera then :)
Where can I set the view mode to panning? I looked at the different modes but can't remember panning being one of them.

And I used MagicLantern, but for some reason, the camera seems to have problems with long exposures and the intervalometer, which is one of the reasons I wanted to use Astroberry.
3 years 8 months ago #57768

• Thank you received: 375
When you connect from tablet, sliding menu should display a hand icon. Lock this and you can pan across your screen.
Regarding Magic Lantern - set your camera to bulb mode and use bulb mode in ML (just below intervalometer). It works for me ;-)
If you want to use Astroberry, you can try setting Target to SD card (in indi driver). However it does not work with all Canon models for some reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michiel Desmedt
3 years 8 months ago #57771

No waayyyy, thats exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much! I guess I didn't look for it because it doesn't show up for non-touch devices like my laptop.
Im about to use a guider setup, I couldn't get around astroberry so I was getting ready to suck it up and take my laptop with me...
3 years 8 months ago #57773

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.923 seconds