INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO Camera failing exposure

• Thank you received: 114
Recently I started to getting errors "[ERROR] Exposure failed after 3 attempts. " With my ASI485MC and ASI1600MM.

I wrote simple code trying to debug this issue. And found out that if you don't call ASIGetExpStatus pretty much in busy loop exposure will fail. It seems like if you miss moment that exposure is done you are screwed. If you have 5 second exposure you can wait 4.9s but then you must jump to busy loop.
status = ASI_EXP_WORKING;
        while(status == ASI_EXP_WORKING)
        {
            error = ASIGetExpStatus(CamNum, &status);
            usleep(1000);// anything above 1ms seems to fail.
        }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 months 1 week ago #99140

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So what changed recently that would require this change?
2 months 1 week ago #99155

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by nou on topic ZWO Camera failing exposure

Nothing. I suspected that maybe update to libASICamera2.so made this. But when I replaced it with 1.25 and 1.21 and it still bug out. Also when I connected camera to USB2.0 port it was working fine when plug back to USB3 it usually manage to do few exposures and then start failing. First instance was 1-2 months ago when my ASI1600 sometimes started to fail exposure. Usually it was working fine until switched from long 300s exposures to short 1s because refocusing or realign. These short ones then failed.

Then like two weeks ago my 485MC started to failing to get exposure sometime. Now it is failing all the time. But this gave me opportunity to debug this issue because I suspect that it is probably some timing race condition or something.

I created pull request. github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/pull/898

Now I remember one more instance like few years ago I got hit by this error on my ASI1600. Then it was solved by replacing the cable.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by nou.
2 months 1 week ago #99158

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds