INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi gphoto ccd: many parameters, no documentation

Yeah KStars 2.3.0 is the current version, if you use KStars-bleeding package from the PPA then I can help you fix any issues, but I don't have time to investigate older version of KStars. But to use kstars-bleeding, you need Ubuntu 14.10 or higher.
9 years 4 months ago #2442

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Knro,
I use kubuntu14.04 long term support with the hope to get updates through the official repositories.

If it does not work like this, before updating to 14.10 I need to be sure that the issue of the eng notation in RA DEC snooping is related to kstars, but it seems strange to me that I get the same behaviour using SkyChart and xephem. My "abstract" opinion is that the problem resides in the ccd or telescope simulator, not the planetarium program. infact You corrected the problem in gphoto ccd....

I believe that indi is a very important milestone in astronomy sw, but getting indi updates should not imply to reinstall all other sw on the PC....

Any idea ?

Alfredo
Celestron C8-N-GT +FirstScope 80
Canon EOS 450D
9 years 4 months ago #2462

I just used the DBUS tutorial and checked the header in FV and there are no issues.

Can anyone else report if they have any issues with FITS header RA & DEC values?
9 years 4 months ago #2476
Attachments:

Dear Knro,

I checked the picture taken also with fv fits viewer (tcl based).
Same (broken) results, so, since I do not want to upgrade to ubuntu 14.10 and kstars 2.3.0, because I have tons of other stuff I should reinstall and configure,I will stop testing this problem.

In the meantime ....
thank You for Your patience
and ...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS !!!!

Alfredo
Canon EOS 450D
9 years 4 months ago #2484

• Thank you received: 88
Hi Alfredo,

Do you use C Locale as default on your setup ? If not, maybe you could try to enforce it when lauching indiserver and kstars by hand:
LANG=C /usr/local/bin/indiserver .....
LANG=C /usr/bin/kstars
I remember to get an issue at least with CCD simulator as the GSC command was not surrounded with C setLocale which confused the gsc binary when it gets commas in place of dots. I don't have access to my dev machine but I think that I also added some other setLocale fixes in the IUSnoopDevice stuff functions as there are some other printf/scanf here.

Jean-Luc.
9 years 4 months ago #2495

Hi Jean-Luc,
I changed the locale (I also had a look at the forum discussion about GSC), but the problem is still there.
The code should not rely on regional settings for scientific applications and my personal taste is that this problem is somewhere in the code and must be fixed, or has been fixed in some library but nobody knows where, being so many dependencies laying around.

Thanks for the tips
Happy Christmas,
Alfredo
Canon EOS 450D
9 years 4 months ago #2502

There are absolutely no issues with 14.04. I just downloaded 14.04 and installed libindi and indi-gphoto from my PPA and used the stock KStars from 14.04 and everything worked fine, there are no issues to be fixed in 14.04. I'd wager you are using an old INDI, what is the libindi version you have?

This is what I get:
$ indiserver
2014-12-25T19:34:27: startup: indiserver 
Usage: indiserver [options] driver [driver ...]
Purpose: server for local and remote INDI drivers
INDI Library: 0.9.9
Code $Revision: 726523 $. Protocol 1.7.

9 years 4 months ago #2505
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 88
Maybe you could also check the dynamic library loading order if you have many libindi installations. Even if you launch the svn binaries they could still use the ubuntu libraries.
ldd -v /usr/local/bin/indiserver
ldd -v /usr/local/bin/indi_gphoto_ccd
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} # to set the loading order
9 years 3 months ago #2511

This is the dump (under /usr/bin, all stuff from /usr/local deleted a few days ago)
indiserver
Usage: indiserver [options] driver [driver ...]
Purpose: server for local and remote INDI drivers
INDI Library: 0.9.9
Code $Revision: 726523 $. Protocol 1.7.
Options:
-l d : log driver messages to <d>/YYYY-MM-DD.islog
-m m : kill client if gets more than this many MB behind, default 64
-p p : alternate IP port, default 7624
-f path : Path to fifo for dynamic startup and shutdown of drivers.
-v : show key events, no traffic
-vv : -v + key message content
-vvv : -vv + complete xml
driver : executable or device@host[:port]

I will create another user and play with regional settings.
ldd -v dumps a lot of text, I will analysize it

To Knro :
14.04 ubuntu kstars is 2.2.0 , not 2.3.0 as I see in muon-package-manager and about menu.
I followed instructions to update reporìsitories but I do not see any change. May be this is the point ....

Alfredo
Canon EOS 450D
9 years 3 months ago #2518

Obvious : indiserver is compiled from svn.
Commands :
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DWITH_QHY=OFF .
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr .
Note :
First compilation under /usr/local (my first messages in forum) from svn did not request boost package and I could not find any qay package to continue Makefile creation by cmake. Also about this I would investigate why it did behave like that (Best of all is to delete all and remake all before reinstallation).
Alfredo
Canon EOS 450D
9 years 3 months ago #2519

Ok, ran the command above in 3rdparty directory? or in libindi directory? or both?
9 years 3 months ago #2520

First cmake in libindi
Second cmake in 3party

NOTE:
I had a look at locales in Ubuntu. I read there are still forum discussion about UTF en_US and en_GB locales. I had already problems in the past about this and since everything now works I do not want to change anything again. To set locale to C it is necessary to regenerate the locale files, I do not think it is enough to set an env var in current konsole or the like, I tried but nothing changed.
I noticed differences in behaviour of camera shooting in ccd gphoto and ccd simulator typing 1.0, 1, 1,0 in the exposure field and I did not like it. An error dialog box or the like should advice the user that the entered value is not recognized as fixed point notation or floating or viceversa.
Is it the RA DEC FITS problem something like that ?

Alfredo
Canon EOS 450D
9 years 3 months ago #2529

Time to create page: 0.988 seconds