INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Auto focus with GPhoto CCD

• Thank you received: 19
I was just wondering if when using the GPhoto CCD remotely, should I change the image settings to a lower resolution temporarily? I have had the autofocus not quite reach focus a time or two (although autofocus thinks it's complete) and was wondering if it was because it was just taking too long to dowload the images between focuser adjustments.

--Jon
8 years 4 months ago #6234

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No need to wonder if you can attach the kstars.log file after enabling verbose logging to a file in KStars settings.
8 years 4 months ago #6238

Replied by Jon on topic Auto focus with GPhoto CCD

OK. All set.... I will setup a little early next session and make some trial runs to see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks.

--Jon
8 years 4 months ago #6259

Did my first full remote session 3-6-2016 and had good success. Autofocus was still not acceptable so I had to resort to manually focusing. I am using an Arduino Moonlite focuser but I don't think that's the problem. I have attached the log file so you can see that autofocus came up with a value slightly over 4.6 for hfr whereas manually focusing I was able to obtain values around 2.3 hfr.
Autofocus began at 19:44:38.480 on 3-6-2016.

File Attachment:

File Name: kstars.zip
File Size:766 KB

--Jon
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Jon.
8 years 1 month ago #7244
Attachments:

In thinking more about this, it might be due to not enough movement. I think I will try and up the value to something more like 300 or 400 ticks instead of the default 100. If my math is close, 100 ticks won't move the focuser much at all. I am not using a moonlite focuser; only the moonlite protocol via arduino connected to a single speed r&p focus mechanism. I'll check it the next time I get a good night to image.

--Jon
8 years 1 month ago #7249

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds