INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focusing Canon Lens in Ekos

• Thank you received: 812
I think it could be really useful for DSLR astrophotographers if the Ekos software could use the live preview from the indi_gphoto driver and the focusing in/out commands from the driver to focus a camera lens using the Ekos autofocus routine. A big problem I always have with using camera lenses for astrophotography is always focusing since the Canon autofocus routine is of course useless for astrophotography. I usually focus my Canon camera on a star using live view on the back of the camera in 10X mode. I think it would be really powerful if the same sort of autofocus routine could be done for a DSLR camera lens as can be done with a CCD camera in the EKOS focusing pane. I think this would really give Ekos a great capability that is lacking in other software.

I did test the INDI gphoto driver focus pane to see if it could be easily used to focus the camera and I was pleased with how well it did work. So I was looking back through old threads to see if I could find out more about it. I found this one, which I assume was created about the same time the focus tab was created in the INDI gphoto driver. But from the thread, it looks like the work stopped with the creation of the tab. Is this correct or did I miss something?
indilib.org/forum/wish-list/225-indi-gph...-focus.html?start=36

I also found this thread which I am likewise assuming was created about the time the live view feature appeared in the INDI gphoto driver.
indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/286-gphoto-...fits-conversion.html

Both threads seem to stop at the point of creation of those two features in the driver. I was wondering if there are any plans to combine them as I described above. I have tested both features separately and they work pretty well. I think that would be really incredible for DSLR astrophotography.

Thank you very much!!

Rob
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Rob Lancaster. Reason: misplaced word
7 years 9 months ago #9221

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In principle, you can do autofocus now, but not with live-preview. I never tried it myself though.
7 years 9 months ago #9222

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds