INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Hour Angle and Meridian Flip Question

• Thank you received: 4
Folks,
Could someone please tell me what the HA time is referring to in this screenshot:

The reason I am asking is because I thought it meant "Clock time past the meridian" (assuming +ive number). However, in my screen shot that would make the transit time for my object 21:47 (local time). The problem is that the actual transit time for the object was 22:48. My mount has limit settings that will allow a flip request between 1 degree (4 mins) and 10 degrees (40 mins) past the meridian. As a result, when I told Ekos to "Flip if HA > 2 degrees", it kept failing. I eventually just unchecked the box and waited until the mount reported that it was far enough past the meridian and checked the box. This worked as expected and the mount performed the flip. Help.

Anand
1 month 2 days ago #100020
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
The first thing to check is that the mount, KStars and the computer all agree on what time it is. Have you recently switched to 'Summer Time'?
1 month 2 days ago #100026

I’m going on with the assumption that my understanding of the HA number is correct.
Yes we have just switched to summer time in my locale. However, I have the following configuration:
1. Losmandy Gemini 2 Level 6.
2. GPS device connected to the mount controller
3. NTP configured on the mount
4. When I power on the mount, I use the cold start option and query both GPS and NTP for the location and time.
5. Kstars is configured for “Mount updates Kstars” with both Time and Location set.

The Mini PC time matches the mount. How can I tell what time Kstars thinks it is currently? Also since the mount is updating location how do I determine that it’s using the correct UTC offset? Opening the Time dialog shows that my location in the table, the offset is correct. I also notice that if you choose a DST setting, the UTC offset must be the “winter” one for Kstars to get the time right during summer.
Help
Anand
Last edit: 1 month 2 days ago by Anand Narwani.
1 month 2 days ago #100027

• Thank you received: 31
The main KStars planetarium window should have (its idea of) the local time in the upper-left corner.

I'm not familiar with Losmandy mounts, but someone just asked a very similar question on CN: www.cloudynights.com/topic/916870-losman...-time/#entry13362959

Apparently the Gemini system does not have an automatic DST setting.
1 month 2 days ago #100029

I'm fairly certain that this is the problem. The Hand Controller reported the timezone as UTC -4 which includes the DST setting. It appears that KStars needs the timezone set to -5. I will uncheck the box to get the time from the mount and only location and this should fix it.
1 month 1 day ago #100053

Time to create page: 0.956 seconds