INDI Library v1.8.6 Released (21 Aug 2020)

August 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.6 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry

7 months 2 weeks ago
Tim Roske
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry #48847
I have a U-blox7 USB GPS. I have successfully used it on StellarMate on an Rpi3 using GPSD. It just worked out of the box. Now I am trying to use it on Astroberry Server 2.0 on a Pi4. Ekos says the device is connected, but NO FIX. The light on the dongle is blinking green, indicating that is has determined its position.

I tried playing with the GPSD configuration file in /etc/default/ to change the DEVICE = to “/dev/ttyUSB0” as suggested in another thread, but I get a permissions error when trying to save the changes to the file.

So I am stuck.

Hope someone here has had success they can pass along. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 2 weeks ago
wanthalf
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry #48856
Edit the file as super user (root) with "sudo" :-)

7 months 2 weeks ago
Kaczorek
More
USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry #48858
You don't need to edit /etc/default/gpsd for USB devices as they handle hotplug mode.
Any details? That version of Astroberry? Where do you get NOFIX?

--
Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM

7 months 2 weeks ago
wanthalf
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry #48859
That's right. GPSD autodetects USB connected GPS automatically and adjusts to its parameters, without any configuration. However, I had a problem with a Prolific PL2303 USB-to -serial adapter - it always stopped working with GPSB after some 8-15 seconds of successful communication. Still don't know if it is a specific problem of the combination of GPSd and PL drivers or whether my PL adapter is just defect, but it seems to work well under other circumstances, e.g. when just dumping the serial messages to the console.

7 months 2 weeks ago
Tim Roske
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry #48995
I was just working with the Astroberry, taking a screen shot to show you the NO FIX in the INDI Control Panel. The GPS dongle was blinking green, and Control Panel/Main Control of GPSD showed NO FIX.

Just for kicks, I hit the Disconnect button and then the Connect button and the info updated to reflect my current position, time and a 2D fix, next to my office window.

Thanks everybody.

Tim

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds