INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrometry image won't solve

• Thank you received: 1
I took an image to solve last night at 500mm on my d7200 and it solved no issue. I changed my settings, added a 2x teleconverter to my setup and took a photo but the Solver couldn't solve it. I uploaded it to Astrometry.net and tried to solve and it came back solved against a index file I have. My FOV was 83.2 x 55.5 arcmin and I was pointed near M101. I have attached the JPG. Help?
4 years 2 weeks ago #52086
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

was the FOV in align updated? it sets the lower and upper limit of the FOV range so if it is not updated with your change then it might cause the offline astrometry.net to fail. What FOV was reported by the online solver?
4 years 2 weeks ago #52090

This is what the online solver said -- 83.2 x 55.5 arcmin. I just plugged those numbers in and got it to solve properly. I'll have to check what it puts in there when I connect my camera and stuff. Thanks!
4 years 2 weeks ago #52091

• Thank you received: 420
If you use a 2x teleconverter then you need to specify a focal length of 1000 mm for your telescope, not 500 mm. That needs to be done in your Ekos profile. Not sure if that's what you meant with " I changed my settings".
4 years 2 weeks ago #52092

I had used 1500mm as I'm using a crop sensor. I can't recall what I did last night. I'll hook up all my stuff and double check in a bit.
4 years 2 weeks ago #52093

So it turns out that the update to the focal length and aperture didn't update the FOV in the align module even though the option to auto update was on. It was coming up with a 55 x 38 or so value for my crop nikon camera with a 1000mm focal length and the correct value is 83.2 x 55.5. Submitting the image to astrometry.net gave the correct FOV and once it was entered and the scope was slewed to the right position it solved the image. I can't test the solve and slew at the moment as its daylight but my image from last night solves fine and does so pretty quickly. Not sure if this is a bug or not.
4 years 2 weeks ago #52095

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Astrometry image won't solve

If it is a 2x teleconverter then your focal length is 1000mm, do not apply a crop sensor fudge factor. Just because the sensor is smaller doesn't change the focal length of the optics. Note, when you set the focal length in the mount tab it will not apply unless you click save. Or create a configuration preset for the teleconverter focal setup.
4 years 2 weeks ago #52116

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds