INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PHD2 autostart on Ekos startup

• Thank you received: 23
There is a way to automatically start PHD2 when is pressed the play button on Ekos interface???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 8 months ago #58828

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's not there now but I suppose it makes sense to introduce such an option along with a path to the PHD2 executable to run when PHD2 is selected as the guider. But it also has to check it's not already started.
3 years 8 months ago #58829

• Thank you received: 69
It would help if phd2 could run as a service / server mode, can it?
3 years 8 months ago #58831

I tried to create a desktop laucher to execure phd2; kstars %U but it start PHD2 and if I close it, then startup Kstars
3 years 8 months ago #58832

I was able to create a launcher that point to another one to starts phd2 and kstars

sudo mv deskopen /opt/tools
sudo mv kstarsphd2.png /opt/tools/icons
mv kstars-phd2.desktop /home/pi/Desktop
chmod +x /opt/tools/deskopen /home/pi/Desktop/kstars-phd2.desktop
3 years 8 months ago #58836
Attachments:

I've spent some time looking at Voyager after a trusted (APOD winning) friend recommended it and there's a lot to like about their approach - some of which addresses ideas like this and more when it comes to starting up external apps (in my case, TheSkyX, as I use the internal guider with EKOS) but in their case relies on PHD which they startup for you.

It's a Windows only app so there's no chance I would consider it, especially given that Stellarmate/INDI is making huge progress and has the benefit of being open source/community friendly.

The benefit they have is a relatively fixed model for knowing where everything is running and of course it's not true client/server like INDI/EKOS which has a more complicated set of use-cases to deal with.

Long way of saying, it's a great idea - since I've started preparing to go fully robotic/remote (my telescope will be 1000 kms away in Siding Springs), I am starting to appreciate the need for more automation and "business logic" being built into Ekos Scheduler. (including an IFTT type logic/workflow builder).

Starting up (and monitoring the state of) PHD2 would be just one of the related modules - same goes for ensuring that remote device servers are started up and managed. eg: I have my Flat Man and dome controller running on a separate Raspberry Pi to the main imaging RPi that rides on the OTA - ensuring that this whole ecosystem is up, running and stable - including retrying to get the system back o working rather than just exit(-1) and stopping a recoverable session has increasing merit to me - I'm just not skilled enough to code it (yet).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 8 months ago #58839

I added it as a task to be discussed with KStars developers here: invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/issues/35
The following user(s) said Thank You: ALESSANDRO PENSATO
3 years 8 months ago #58889

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds