INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem with ASI EFW mini filter wheel

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I'm recently having problems with an ASI EFW mini filter wheel, with 5 filters. At times, when I try to change filters, I get an error and it is stuck there. I've swapped USB cables 3 times and still it is there. The error in the log in like this:

[2024-01-05T16:46:51.309 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[INFO] Setting current filter to slot 1 "
[2024-01-05T16:46:52.776 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] SelectFilter(): EFWSetPosition() = 6 "
[2024-01-05T16:47:00.412 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[INFO] Setting current filter to slot 2 "
[2024-01-05T16:47:06.721 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[INFO] Setting current filter to slot 1 "
[2024-01-05T16:47:58.605 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[INFO] Setting current filter to slot 3 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:09.237 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[INFO] Setting current filter to slot 2 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:17.521 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[INFO] Setting current filter to slot 5 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:19.496 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] SelectFilter(): EFWSetPosition() = 6 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:21.994 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] QueryFilter(): EFWGetPosition() = 6 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:24.734 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] QueryFilter(): EFWGetPosition() = 6 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:27.481 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] QueryFilter(): EFWGetPosition() = 6 "
[2024-01-05T16:48:30.225 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] QueryFilter(): EFWGetPosition() = 6 "

So, here it seems to query position 6. But there is no position 6 - there is 5 slots.... and in the config file, there are 5 slots defined.

I also have a 7 filter ASI EFW wheel (unfortunately wrong filter size, otherwise I could just used this) - and here I can not produce this error. When I just swap them, there are of course only 5 filters defined (following the config file) but I can switch between all seven positions using the Indi controls.

Anyone recognizing this, or have any idea what I can do?

Magnus
3 months 3 weeks ago #97940

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 281
Hi Magnus,

I've not seen this before but here are some thoughts.

My guess would be that the when you connect the 5 filter EFW it is seeing that an ASI EFW is connected and is re-using config for the 7 position wheel (incorrectly). You could try removing bits of config and retrying, in the hope that this will force a refresh from the connected device.

Regards,
John.
3 months 3 weeks ago #97951

Hi!

Thanks. But... no....

Actually, I had not used the 7 position EFW on this instance of Stellarmate before trying to figure out this problem. And: deleting the config flle and let it be re-created did not solve the problem I did that yesterday, but last light the problem was there again.

So: good idea. But still a way to go.... I just keep wondering if there is an USB issue in this somewhere...

Magnus
3 months 3 weeks ago #97952

I had a quick look at the driver and one of the first things it does it to query the device for the number of filter slots. So a bit odd.

Might be worth posting a full log to see if there are any clues there.
3 months 3 weeks ago #97953

Hi!

A more extensive log is attached. In the end of the long file, there are extensive errors relating to this. Makes more sense?

Magnus
3 months 3 weeks ago #97954
Attachments:

Yes, very strange. When you connect, it queries the filter wheel and reports its a 5 position wheel - which is correct.

Nothing I can see as to why it keeps trying to set position 6, although I see 1 error on position 5
[2024-01-05T16:54:17.081 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - ASI EFW : "[ERROR] SelectFilter(): EFWSetPosition() = 5 "

The only thing I can think of is that the config file for the device has a problem or is corrupt so might be worth deleting it and starting again. If that doesn't fix it then maybe its a hardware problem somewhere, maybe the wheel isn't seating correctly in position, or maybe there's a problem moving from position 5 (I see you successfully used the other slots). If you avoid slot 5 does it work?

Is there an ASI app, or something else you can use to see if it works or has the same error?

Sorry, I can't really help much with this.
3 months 3 weeks ago #97955

Hi!

Thanks for trying! I am now, with the help of Jasem, thinking it is a hardware issue.

Magnus
3 months 3 weeks ago #97956

• Thank you received: 2
Hi folks!

I'm afraid I'm stucked with the same error. My ZWO EFW (previously ASI EFW) seems to connect Ok but fails to change the filter. I've tried different cables, and with compiling myself indi-core/ indi-3rd-party drivers, changing the Initial filter set in config file (initially set to 0, but driver replies valid range from 1 to 8 ). Nothing helped so far.

Here's what debug shows upon initialization:

It seems it connected but i will not work changing filters:

Did anyone solve this?

Thanks!
2 months 3 weeks ago #98692
Attachments:

Trying removing config file under ~/.indi

does this help?
2 months 3 weeks ago #98693

• Thank you received: 2
Hey!

Confiig files deleted. It did recreate them when running Kstars again but it did not help. It does not change the filter (it replies with error):
2 months 3 weeks ago #98695
Attachments:

Cannot reproduce the issue here.

2 months 3 weeks ago #98704
Attachments:

Hi!
I solved my issue by buying a new filter wheel - turned out it was a hardware problem. Can you verify that the filter wheel works correctly using ZWO own software?

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
2 months 3 weeks ago #98706

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds