INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GPSD and USB3 interference

• Thank you received: 18
I am having trouble getting GPSD working I think due to USB3 interference. The Indi gpsd driver isn't getting a fix and when I run gpsmon or xgps it connects to gpsd OK and shows multiple satellites but mostly 0 SNR, occasional one will briefly show ~20 SNR but then it reverts to zero. No matter how long I leave it running it never gets a fix unless I unplug the USB3 cable connecting my mele to my Pegasus Powerboat Advance at which point it quickly gets a fix. I not running kstars or communicating with the PPBA other than whatever handshaking type stuff linux doesn't to assign the port. I added a choke to the USB cable for the GPS and that increased the number of satellites (with 0 SNR) it sees but didn't allow it to gain a fix. I bought a second GPS dongle, different model, and it behaves exactly the same way. Anyone experience this and find a solution?
7 months 2 weeks ago #95692

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
Hi Thomas
I have had exactly the same problem in the past. I solved the problem initially by running everything via the USB2 socket on the Pi. After about 1 year of getting GPS fixes every time I turned the system on,the time to fixes got longer and longer. This time I put the GPS dongle on the end of a cable and attached it to the end of the telescope and things were good for about 3 months before the same problem of no fixes came up again. Following the advice of Damian in this forum
indilib.org/forum/general/13745-getting-...ht-interference.html

I increased the cable length again and attached the dongle to the tripod where it is now working happily....... until the next time it doesn't. I have no idea what is causing the drifting loss of signal in the dongle. Ageing of components?
Mike
7 months 2 weeks ago #95709

• Thank you received: 18
Distance helped - got a fix moving as far as way as cable would permit, only a 2D fix as long as PPBA is plugged in, have ordered a usb2 extension cable and will see if that solves it more reliably.
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Thomas Mason.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95724

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds