INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

The state of Astroberry

• Thank you received: 67
I was wondering if it might be time to add a sticky post to the Astroberry forum to recommend not using Astroberry for new deployments.

I really do appreciate all of the effort Radek put into Astroberry and this is not to minimize that effort. I believe Radek was intending on releasing an updated and modernized version of Astroberry, but that has not materialized yet. This is very unfortunately, because Astroberry has considerable mindshare in the Linux astro community.

I feel like the current state of Astroberry hurts the community more than it helps at this point. There are still people trying to use Astroberry, but not much to inform them that any problems they experience are probably not going to receive attention.
2 weeks 1 day ago #100533

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by AstroMuni on topic The state of Astroberry

Its a sad state indeed. Is it not possible for other developers in the community to take ownership of Astroberry and give it new life?
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
2 weeks 8 hours ago #100543

• Thank you received: 18
There is another way to get this working, and which is actively maintained : the AstroArch

And about AstroBerry, I feel the same (I started with it and moved on with a AMD mini computer after), the Astroberry page should tell it is no longer maintained and the users who want to try it may face issues and surely expect no recent kstars updates.

Valentin
150P and 72ED with ASI 071 MC pro
Guiding with qhy 5L-II-m and ASI 178MC
HEQ5 pro with EqMod
Kstars Ekos on lenovo thinkcenter with Linux Mint 21
The following user(s) said Thank You: justin Whitaker
2 weeks 5 hours ago #100556

Astroberry was technically two components:

* The Astroberry image including the installed software and prebuilt configs
* The Astroberry APT repo for Debian/Raspberry Pi

The APT repo, in my opinion, was the more important for the community since there is no other option to get prebuilt INDI packages on Raspberry PI official images. I am not sure it was fair to rely on Astroberry for this service. I know I miss using the Astroberry repo for indi-allsky. Now users have to spend 20 minutes to 2 hours building INDI from source.
2 weeks 1 hour ago #100562

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by AstroMuni on topic The state of Astroberry

Where they fail is if they rely on one main developer/maintainer. As soon as that person is unable to actively contribute, it dies a slow death. :-(
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
1 week 6 days ago #100570

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by justin Whitaker on topic Meridian Flip woes

I'm one of those people still trying to use Astroberry - I had no idea it wasn't being maintained any longer.

Looks like it's time to try out AstroArch!
1 week 6 days ago #100572

The INDI community would not be able to take ownership of Astroberry. Radek owns the astroberry.io site and any branding/trademarks. He still maintains the site--he updated the certificate just a few months back. Relying on a single developer in this case is just the way it works. I think Radek made a great product.

But this thread is not really about the merits of Astroberry or the alternatives. It is really about what is best for the community. Radek has not posted publicly in this forum in about 2 years. Astroberry can still be used, but giving Astroberry the same rank/status as AstroArch does not help new users. A sticky with information about the project state would be immensely helpful. Radek could release an update to Astroberry tomorrow and the stickied info could be deleted.
1 week 5 days ago #100606

I can affix a sticky to the Astroberry sub-forum, what should it say exactly? Astroberry is no longer maintained and here are the alternatives?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Durham
1 week 4 days ago #100616

I will try to stick to the facts without being too negative.

Please use caution when performing new installations of Astroberry.  As of May 2024, the latest release of Astroberry is 2.0.4 which was released in October 2021.  The last update to the Astroberry APT repository was in August 2022.  The latest versions of software in the Astroberry repositories include KStars 3.6.0 and INDI 1.9.7.  There have been many improvements to both projects since this time.

<strong>New astronomy cameras released since 2022 will likely not be compatible with Astroberry 2.0.4.  Also, due to the base image of Astroberry being built on Debian 10 32-bit, it is not possible to upgrade KStars to 3.6.1+ because these are 64-bit only releases.</strong>  Note:  Debian 10 is end-of-life on June 30, 2024.

Astroberry is an independent project from the INDI and KStars projects.  The developer of Astroberry has expressed intent to release an updated version with modern versions of software, but it is not known when to expect Astroberry 3.0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Aaron Morris.
1 week 2 days ago #100669

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Gord Tulloch on topic Meridian Flip woes

Considering AstroArch has one maintainer as well, it would seem to be a better idea to use Stellarmate or use vanilla Raspian or Ubuntu and just use Nou's scripts to compile the latest versions of everything from scratch:

gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-build
Last edit: 1 week 6 hours ago by Gord Tulloch.
1 week 6 hours ago #100691

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Val Chevalier on topic Meridian Flip woes

mmm I got your point about having one person maintaining the repository and being stopped if he quits, but this way to do is for people who wants to compile themself the software and the drivers, and they usually know already how to do that. Don't forget the people who does not want to get bored with compiling etc. And doing this way, you'll have to compile it again every times there will be any update. By the way, I have already compiled on Pi4 8Gb and it took 4 hours, you can understand that might be intimidating for people without skills in computer stuffs.

Astroberry and now AstroArch is meant for people who does just want to get their Pi easily ready for imaging.

Stellarmate is a really really good option too, with all updates and the support from Jasem, but it's not free, even if it's really cheap regarding the work. I have a license for this but I don't use anymore as I switched for a amd computer with Ubuntu ppa, I did this to get a faster os and software, but it's because I know how to set all things up for that (creating a wifi hotspot, having remote control, etc). Some people don't want to play with that and just want an easy way to get the Pi working.

best regards

Valentin
150P and 72ED with ASI 071 MC pro
Guiding with qhy 5L-II-m and ASI 178MC
HEQ5 pro with EqMod
Kstars Ekos on lenovo thinkcenter with Linux Mint 21
1 week 4 hours ago #100692

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Gord Tulloch on topic Meridian Flip woes

The cool thing about computers is if you start something running and go to bed it'll be done when you wake up :)

I'd encourage you to get Stellarmate X and support Jasem, I have both RPi and X licenses and X is far and away more useful than the RPi version, just because I can compile things like Siril on X, and hardware like my Pegasus Bluetooth EQMOD box actually work!
1 week 3 hours ago #100693

Time to create page: 1.589 seconds