INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

200km Remote location Setup,

• Thank you received: 4
I have general question. I looking for example setups with indi and kstar to build a remote Observatorium about 200km distance. I have now backyard one now;-)
the internet connection on remote location is poor the idea is to create 4G connection. The internet speed on location on this moment is 4Mbps down and 0.47 Up.
I have now the impression that the Indi setup is more for backyard use or High speed connected network setup
I was wondering how the application perform with taking in account the latency of the network 200km remote setup.

So how to use indi in this kind of setups

Example auto guiding the picture must be send to the client and calculate the differents and sending back the correction command the correction can be to late and can cause guiding errors i expect.

How to to deal with the high resultion images (Big files) etc etc. during day i can setup an transfer but i dont want that during the capturing session i only need preview
etc. Are persons in this forum who have kind of setup and like to share how Indi is used (share setup drawing) or do you always use VNC /Team view in this kind of setups
and is indi/kstar local ( backyard setup)

Thanks on forhand.

Chris
5 years 4 months ago #32923

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
Hi Chris,

I'm probably the only one here with quite a remote observatory...., it's located 400 miles (~650KM) away from home.
Have to drive from the UK, through France ~ Belgium ~ Netherlands and then to Germany where it's located.

You can see pictures of my system in the following thread .
Let me tell that the least of your worries is network speed, there are many physical factors that you must take in consideration first.
My system has no capable remote hands in case something goes wrong. I rely totally on my build and setup.
Don't pay attention to my latest issues, CCD died, alignment gone wrong probably and certainly due to my own mistakes.
You must have reliable sensors, and trust your work.

My system is fairly easy
remote:
Self build automated box (linear actuators, roof position sensors, rain sensor, Indi weather station (DIY)), HEQ5 pro, Atik 314+, QHY5, Megrez 72, Orion mini guider, Shoestring focuser.
Odroid C1 mini computer, 64GB usb memory stick, 2x Yepkit Yepkit USB Switchable Hub (allows me to completely turn off the USB ports).
Power supply (beefy one)

HQ:
Mac mini, latest Kstars. That's it.

Going to try to answer your questionsIf you guiding camera allows you, binning 2x2 will help thread , Guiding documentation
You can set Kstars to store the pictures on the client, server or both.

I do not use VNC at all, my remote setup is a server, not a desktop machine with graphical non sense stuff.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
5 years 4 months ago #32925

My Indi dream is to be able to 100% fully script out a session, from command line, without having to worry about Kstars.
5 years 4 months ago #32926

You can also do some local test yourself.
ie:
laptop running Kstars
Raspberry PI as the indi server

On the pi:
apt-get install wondershaper
$ sudo wondershaper eth1 256 128
( limit the bandwidth of interface eth1 to 256kbps downlink and 128kbps uplink)
To clear the limit
$ sudo wondershaper clear eth1

source:
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/28198/h...it-network-bandwidth
5 years 4 months ago #32927

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic 200km Remote location Setup,

What??? UK to Germany?! Thats just crazy talk! Lol!

(nice setup tho)
5 years 4 months ago #32930

• Thank you received: 168
I have a remote observatory, though "only" 65km away, now on its second winter season. The observatory is 2m dome from ScopeDome, running the show is Udoo x86 Ultra mini-PC, currently running Ubuntu 18.10, scope is a 8" GSO/TS RC with carbon tube, mount Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro, cameras Atik 383L+ for imaging, SX Lodestar X2 for guiding, SX USB 7 slot filterwheel, USB_Focus V3 focuser and Gemini SnapCap as dustcap and flat light. On the scope I have mounted 7-port industrial USB3 hub from Startech and Rigrunner for distributing 12V power so there are only two cables going up, mount has separate EQDir cable and another Rigrunner from which the power goes up too.

Power to the equipment on the scope goes through relays of the ScopeDome controller so I can switch them off when not in use. I also have USB_Dewpoint for dew heater control and KomaHub USb controllable Rigrunner-like power switch, but those aren't in use yet. There are 5 IP-cameras connected to NVR around the place looking at the scope, observatory and others and Raspberry Pi 3 with ASI120MM-S as allsky camera. Networking is with 4G router and OpenVPN. As backup access I have a second Raspberry Pi 3 that controls Z-Wave switchable outlet that I can use to power cycle the observatory if necessary.

I run INDI, KStars and PHD2 on the observatory machine itself and also run PixInsight there to integrate master flats, darks etc. so I don't have to download all of them home. Last spring I also did some planetary and lunar imaging with the ASI120MM-S and Firecapture and ran PiPP, Winjupos and Autostakkert 3 with Wine so I wouldn't have to transfer all those gigabytes of video over. But all light frames and calibration masters I download home for processing. The 4G network speed is around 10 megabits/s out and 5 in which works very well for this use. For desktop access I usually use X2GO, but also Teamviewer at times from phone or tablet.
5 years 4 months ago #32932

• Thank you received: 4
Stephane, Greg

thanks for your reactions. this gives me more idea's, great. You are right it must be fail save and network is that case less important.
I think my issue with the Indi setup is that I don't understand 100% what is handled by the server or the Indi client. I have now the impression that
the server is there only for starting the drivers and communication with the clients and that processing like other example is done one the client site like astrometry
and there for it looks like local full setup mostly like the setup as explained by Greg.

It looks like that you start your sessions via your Mac and not use your location unattended. So Collecting set of images without out human intervention. This is the aim of Ekos ?
I have know the PI3 but for my tests but I like your Odroid CI mini or the one of Greg. (how is this preforming compared with the PI3 , By the way what is a Beefy One.
My goal is that all must run on 12V, I have 25cm f4 newton and eq6 and will use OnStep instead of my FS2 which is missing park and median flip.
This all in bigger box but by crash of one of the items is that the roof can be always closed.

@greg which 4g router do you use

I am very happy with your both explanations it helps me with my design.
looking forward also to hear other about other setups

are special forums related to this subject or links you can share with me which help you by building this.

anyway thanks

Chris
5 years 4 months ago #32938

Time to create page: 0.656 seconds