INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Internal Solver for Mac, Windows, and Linux -- Testing/ Experiments needed

• Thank you received: 17
I am using the internal SexTractor on my RPi, I ran several different options from the pull down list and trying extraction params in the Editor. This part always worked, it found more or fewer things as stars depending on what I selected. Then I went to the Internal SexySolver and ran it (Solve) with the same options (or others); with some options it would solve in 26 seconds; but then 'hang' after that - nothing on the rpi responded until at some point it would time out and the whole Tester program would disappear. But Ekos would still be left in the background if I had that running. So it never crashed on the internal Sextractor only on the internal Solver and if it did NOT solve or if it did solve it was after that it would crash. I could not use the mouse to do anything on the screen to try and close the program first or change screens. I would just have to wait 5-15 seconds before it would crash after freezing up.

I had turned off parallel processing in Astrometry editor. Messages in the syslog are either out of memory or Entropy starvation?

Ron
3 years 11 months ago #54266

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Han,
Is there a way to specify what dark to use in ASTAP or does it find a Dark based on exp time and temp in the same directory as the Light?

Ron
3 years 11 months ago #54267

• Thank you received: 92

If none of the options are check-marked it will take any darks and convert them to a master. As soon you check mark classify on exposure or temperature it will build a master based on exposure and or temperature.
I don't think it is very critical. In any case it will remove the bulk of hot pixels. I would go for a single dark series of maybe 10 seconds. If it works well you could add a 20 seconds series. I would ignore temperature for the moment.

Can you provide a master for testing, I just rewriting some routines for better structure and I like do to testing.

I'm also considering a better hot pixel filter. You camera images can be useful for testing.

Han
3 years 11 months ago #54297

I did just some testing with the images of last night to see if the Source-Extractor is an improvement for ASTAP. Created some images using the Moon tracking speed. Solving worked well for this image:

During testing I also found images of the Haleakala Observatory (in my collection) having a table behind the images. ASTAP tried to solve the images using the table which was very surprising. At least it shows the combination image & table combination is used elsewhere:

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by han.
3 years 11 months ago #54299
Attachments:

Han,
I am taking 5 darks each at 10 and 20 sec, camera cooler set at 10 deg. I will run them thru ASTAP to make a Master Dark set.
Ron
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Ronald Scotti.
3 years 11 months ago #54301

Here is one of the Master Darks - they are taking forever to upload to the sharing site.
MasterDark_10sec_10C
Ron
3 years 11 months ago #54304

Here is the 20 sec Master Dark
MasterDark_20sec

I will do one at 30 as well

Ron
3 years 11 months ago #54305

Han,
I cannot seem to get ASTAP to ignore the temp difference between the image and the MasterDark, how do you do that? I did not checkmark anything when I built the Master darks, the difference in exposure were in different directories.

Ron
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Ronald Scotti.
3 years 11 months ago #54306

Sorry, I had not checked the proper files, it warned me about flats but not darks, when I checked the correct files.

still not solving when I calibrate before solving?

Ron
3 years 11 months ago #54311

It's is only a warning. It will still apply the dark.

There is something strange with the dark. The hot pixel pattern is the same as in the M108 image but a factor 3 lower in values. Exposure is the same. Temperature is roughly the same. Very strange. But applying the dark doesn't work well if the values are different. ???

Han
3 years 11 months ago #54314

The darks matches only the very first image from 2020-5-7. I can't explain it unless the is an undocumented change in the camera gain? Are you testing in a raspberry Pi now?
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by han.
3 years 11 months ago #54315

Han,
I think the M108 image is a 60 second exposure (I am getting confused concerning what images I uploaded), I did not upload a 60 sec exposure dark. I have some I will make a master.

I think I uploaded:
May2_M108_Light_Lumen_005 - 60 second exposure, temp=10C, galaxy in image - no dark yet
May14_Light_Lumen_10sec_2020_10_14_003 10 sec exposure temp=15C - Polaris in the image
Light_Lumen_10_sec_2020_05_07_001 10 sec exp temp=7.5 deg C - 2 bright stars in middle
I have not uploaded any 20 second images but uploaded both 10 and 20 second darks, I will find a 20 second image

Ron
3 years 11 months ago #54316

Time to create page: 1.532 seconds