INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iNova PLAC-M & DMK21AU04.AS with Kstars-Ekos

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I'm new member on this forum (sorry for my english, i'm french...).
Currently i use ASCOM on windows but i try to manage a new mount wtih a linux computer (ubuntu) and kstar. It's ok for manage the mount but i have a problem to manage my cams.
With iNova PLC-M i have a trouble image and i think it's because the driver indicate 16 bits for the image but PLC-M is a 10 bits camera. I'm not able to find how to change this parameter because the information is send by the indi driver and it's not possible to change it with Ekos.
With DMK, the image is all black. I try to change lot of parameters but the result stay the same.
Is somebody have the sames problems? or an idea to suggess me to solve this problems?
Thank's
8 years 10 months ago #4430

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
With DMK try this:
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/80-theimagingsource-cameras.rules #insert content from here: http://pastebin.com/90f9iRMB
sudo reboot #restarts your system
8 years 10 months ago #4431

Thank you, i'will try that.
8 years 10 months ago #4433

Is this rules file necessary for all DMK cameras? or some? At any rate, if it is required I will add it to INDI.
8 years 10 months ago #4448

Hi,
Unfortunately, this have not change.
In fact in my first message i make a mistake. The all black image was that of an another webcam (basic webcom) witch is identified like /dev/video0 and connected on my computer.
The DMK is identified as usb device (with lsusb) but in /dev there is no corresponding device.
When this another webcam is connected, it is identified as /dev/video0 and when i select DMK in Ekos, Ekos accept to connect but on the webcam instead of DMK. If i unplug the webcam, Ekos can't connect the DMK and there is no /dev/video0 device in /dev.
8 years 10 months ago #4452

• Thank you received: 1
This is surprisingly common, I had exactly the same issue with a Celestron Neximage 5 and Ubuntu. The NI5 i basically the same camera as the DMK41 AU02.AS.

The issue is that,although Linux detects the camera, UVCVideo doesn't take ownership of the device when it is plugged in, and doesn't create the /dev/video* module. There's a good thread on it here:
The solution I found to work (after many hours of googling :) ) was to re-flash the Neximage 5 with a firmware from The Imaging Source. The Neximage 5 still works with MS windows and iCap after the re-Flash.

There's a step-by-step guide here:for obtaining the flash update and applying it which worked for me. The update backs up the cameras original firmware and also gives steps on how to re-apply the cameras original state.

If you decide to try it, be sure it is relevant to your specific camera model, and good luck!
8 years 10 months ago #4454

Would someone please write a summary of the HOWTO so that I add it to the DMK INDI Device page. It would help prospective users from dealing with this issue from scratch. Is there also any permanent solution?
8 years 10 months ago #4458

• Thank you received: 1
Give me a couple of days, I'll write a step-by-step guide from my experience with the NI5. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 10 months ago #4462

Hi everybody,
Always the same problems with indi/Ekos/Kstars
It's impossible to connect correctly my cams (DMK21AU04, inova PLC-M and Orion StarShoot G3 Color... :(
Only my Atik 314 L+ is ok
I want to transfer my observatory from WINDOWS+ASCOM+ASTROART to UBUNTU+INDI+KSTARS+EKOS but for more than a year i try to find solution!! And nothing new...indi can't work with these cams.
Is there a somebody in the indi's guys who can ask to the manufacturer to write a correct driver for their products...
DMK : The different solutions I saw about the DMK are not really reliable. Some time it work some time not.
inova : when i install the indi_inova_ccd driver (Ubuntu), Kstars don't recognize the PLC-M and if i try to use the driver with Indi/Ekos, Kstars disappear of my computer (2 time today !!!), and it's lot of command to be able to reinstall it. :angry:
Orion : nobody on the web seems to be able to connect it with indi...
All of these products work well on Windows and ASCOM ...
So i will continue to manage my observatory with Windows (burk) and ASCOM (yeahhh!).
it's a shame because Indi and Ekos are really nice ...

Please, Is there somebody who can tell me a real and reliable solution (i have no enough money to buy 3 others Atik!) for these cameras with indi?
thank you in advance for you
7 years 9 months ago #9308

Sorry about your troubles. There is only so much we can do:

1. It is available as UVC under Linux so only indi_v4l2_ccd driver would work with it. If there are specific issues you must contact DMK and ask for INDI driver support.
2. I checked their new release driver here but it includes an old XML format. I already sent an email to INova USA (I hope they can send it to France because I can't find the main French email). At any rate, you can correct the XML file now until they release an updated version. Edit the file /usr/share/indi/indi_inova_ccd.xml and replace it with the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<driversList>
<devgroup group="CCDs">
   <device label="i-Nova Camera">
     <driver name="i-Nova Camera">indi_inova_ccd</driver>
     <version>1.2.6</version>
   </device>
</devgroup>
</driversList>

3. Orion doesn't care about Linux support so can't do anything there unless you want to develop the driver yourself.

EDIT: Seems I-Nova USA email is invalid :( If anyone can reach I-Nova France and inform them of the fix above it would be great.
7 years 9 months ago #9309

• Thank you received: 12
I found this searching on www.inova-ccd.fr/download/. I do not know if it can be useful :

The iNova SDK for PLxCam cameras is available on request.
2 versions: Win32 C++ and managed C#
Contact us by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
7 years 9 months ago #9312

If you can email them about the fix above I'd appreciate it.
7 years 9 months ago #9315

Time to create page: 1.172 seconds