INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Goto Slew rate for CGEM mount

• Thank you received: 17
I read a previous thread that indicated you could set the goto slew rate in Kstars/Ekos by setting it in the Indi Control Panel for the mount and then save the configuration in the Options tab. I tried that and it does not seem to work for the Celestron CGEM mount . The mount slews to objects reasonably accurately, but too fast as it sometimes misses the target and takes multiple tries to achieve it.

I tried setting the slew rate to "6", it keeps resetting to "1" but that is not how fast it slews to targets in GoTo's. I set it to "6" got to Options and save, back to Motion Control Tab and it is reset to "1". But again it slews much faster than that.

If I open the mount tab and manually move the mount, that setting works correctly, but it does not effect the speed of GoTo motions.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to set the slew fate for GoTo's for the Celestron CGEM mount?

thanks,
1 year 1 month ago #91091

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17
I will answer my own question. I thought that the goto slew rate was set by the control panel options in Kstars, but it is likely not (I am not sure what setting the slew rate in the Motion Control tab of the mount control panel actually does other than set the default slew rate for the mount control panel to whatever you had set there).

I believe that Kstars (and maybe other programs) use the special slew rate "9" for programmed "goto's". I have a new hand controller for my CGEM (Nexstar +) and the procedure I used to set the actual slew rate of "rate 9" is this:
on the hand controller, use "Scope Setup", then "Custom Rate 9" enter to get to RA axis, then enter when you see enable, then it should show a rate number (mine was set at 4.50) you change this number (I first went to 3.50) and then back out (or Undo). Then enter on the DEC axis and do the same thing. Power down everything and power back up. the new "rate 9" value should still be there when you go back to that setting on the Hand controller.

I used a Kstars goto to check the speed. At the original setting (4.5) It moved very quickly (almost not enough time for me to stop it if something was going terribly wrong). When I change the "rate 9" setting to 3.50 I hardly noticed a difference. It was still way faster than setting of "7" or "8". So I went back and changed "custom rate "9" to 2.50. Now it was noticeably slower, so that I could tell the difference in motion. Still faster than 7 or 8 settings, but just barely so.

I did not discover this on my own, I just found this by searching.
1 year 1 month ago #91119

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.760 seconds