INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron AUX: PC port vs AUX port

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I have a CGE-Pro mount and am currently using the Celestron HC driver, with a cable to the handset connected to the mount. However, I'd like to get rid of the handset and the need to align the scope before connecting Ekos.

This mount has a PC port and I have a cable that works with Windows and the Nexremote controller. I can also use this cable with Ekos and the AUX driver, and the mount seems to be recognized. However, nothing else. I can not slew the mount, not control it at all. Is this to be expected or am I missing something?

So I was planning on using the AUX port instead. As I understand it, I then need some kind of adapter/converter (not a standard RS232- USB), and found the Homebrew version 3 on Cloudy Nights (www.cloudynights.com/topic/854327-homebr...-wifibtgpsmusbrelay/). Is that what I need?

Grateful for any advice (I do find these Celestron ports and various modes of connecting confusing)

Magnus
2 months 2 weeks ago #98978

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30
I am also interested on using direct control through the AUX RJ12 port of my AVX.
Seems that the hbg3 project you refer (rtr.ca/hbg3/) is alive but at this moment kits and presoldered boards are "out of stock". As a DIY project, if not starting from a kit, I would say it is not easy (double sided pcbs, SMD soldering...).
Another possibility is to use the celestron_aux driver instead of the celestron_hc. There is a lot of information on this driver in the indi site but when you look at github there is a big warning about being beta code and not suitable for unattended work.
I would say these two approaches are very different and use different protocols. HBG3 mimics the Hand Control, so uses the same indi driver used when the HC is in the middle. the celestronaux driver talks directly the AUX protocol.
It would be great to know the current status of these direct PC-telescope connection for someone actually using them.
2 months 2 weeks ago #98980

Hi Joaquin,

Good to hear you share my interest! As for the HBG3, I actually managed to get a PCB so I believe the hard part is solved.

But: as I wrote before: the AUX driver and the PC port does not work for me. Should it...?

Magnus
2 months 2 weeks ago #98981

There is a very long thread on Cloudy Nights about de AUX connection (the one you linked). I think I read there about the communications protocols and that you cannot simply use a USB to RJ12 serial converted (FTDI chip) cable from the PC to the RJ12 AUX port in the mount. I do not know about USB-USB connection for the mounts that have a USB port like CGX. I didn't know the CGE-Pro has a USB port.
I just found this (www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/PortsCGEPro.htm):
PC Port - located on the electronics pier. This port can be used with two software packages from Celestron. The first is for upgrading the motor control firmware, though with hand control version 4.13 or higher, motor control firmware can be updated via the RS-232 port on the bottom of the hand control as well. The second is for a PC-based virtual hand control called NexRemote - details are found here. All other software on the market either communicates via the RS-232 Port discussed above or communicates with NexRemote which in turn communicates with the scope via this port. The connector for this port is an 8 conductor RJ-45. The signaling is standard RS-232 levels. When using NexRemote with the PC port, you need a "programming cable", not the standard RS-232 cable used to connect to the port on the bottom of the hand control. Click here for details on the cable used to connect this port to a PC.
2 months 2 weeks ago #98982

Hi!

Yes, there is a lot on Aux on CN :)

The CGE-Pro does not have a USB port. It has 2 Aux ports and one PC port. I do have the specific "programming cable" mentioned in the text you cite (article no 93922). That is the one I also tried to use with Ekos and Celestron AUX driver, where Ekos identifies the mount but can not move it.

What does work for me is connecting to the hand control (either USB-USB or standard RS232-USB depending on which version of hand control I use - I have 2 different).

I hope I am not confusing things?

Magnus
2 months 2 weeks ago #98983

I see, The PC port is a RJ45, not USB. My bad.
I also use the mini USB in the hand control.
I would say that you can't control your mount through the celestron cable and the PC connector on the mount using the celestron_hc driver, but I could be wrong...
2 months 2 weeks ago #98986

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds