INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip woes

• Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

I'm running Kstars/Ekos via an Astroberry installation (which I understand is quite outdated) with an EQ6-R Mount, using EQ-Mod, and have a torrid time with MF. I have it set to flip at 3 degrees past HA, however what happens is:

*Waiting for exposure to finish
*Meridian Flip Initiated < - - - - It does perform a flip
*Plate solving
*Slew to target <- - - - This is where the issues happen

Whatever I do, the mount will not slew to the target. It'll slew past it, but not to it, it feels as though there is a limit set somewhere that stops it however I have HA limits disabled on the mount tab. It generally happens close to zenith.

Is there another limit set somewhere that I can't see here? Would this be solved by migrating to the AstroArch distribution I've seen posted elsewhere?
Last edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by justin Whitaker. Reason: Formatting
2 weeks 3 days ago #100571

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 282

Replied by John on topic Meridian Flip woes

Hi Justin,

There are HA and Alt limits. You mention no HA limits but do you have an Alt limit set?
2 weeks 2 days ago #100590

Replied by justin Whitaker on topic Meridian Flip woes

Hi John,

Also no Alt limits set.
2 weeks 1 day ago #100619

• Thank you received: 282

Replied by John on topic Meridian Flip woes

Hi Justin,

I have the same mount and have occasionally seen what you describe. It hasn't happened very much with me and certainly not consistency enough to get to the bottom of it. I always thought it was a slew problem rather than a MF problem and may be related to poor balance where in certain positions the mount can't drive the scope properly - but that is just a guess on my part as I have no evidence for this.

You could migrate from Astroberry to say AstroArch and get the latest the KStars and see if that fixes it - although I'm not aware of a fix for this (if its the same issue as I'm thinking of).

The other thing you could try is connecting up the rig in daylight and use the skymap to drive the mount to goto certain positions and see if there is a consistent problem in a specific part of the sky. Then you could try checking the scope balance in that position. If that's OK then we'd have to try tracking down something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: justin Whitaker
2 weeks 1 day ago #100620

Solid suggestions John, thanks.

I actually purchased the Stellarmate OS yesterday, so will experiment once I'm up and running to see if the issue is still there with a new installation.

Thanks for your time!
2 weeks 1 day ago #100621

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Meridian Flip woes

The symptom you describe proved to be scope imbalance in my case. It would do the MF and then it would get into this seemingly endless loop of slew and platesolve.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
2 weeks 1 day ago #100622

Thanks for the suggestions all. I don't think it's a balance issue as it happens regardless of the OTA mounted.

I have now upgraded to latest Stellarmate version and this seems to have ironed out the issue in any case.
1 week 3 days ago #100698

Time to create page: 0.762 seconds