INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Inconsistent goto's at startup

• Thank you received: 6
Hello
I am running Stellarmate 1.7.7 on an RPI4. There is an irritating bug/problem with my Avalon m-zero.Before changing to 1.7.7 I was running 1.7.6. After turning on the system and getting a GPS fix I would unpark the mount in the mount tab with the telescope pointing at polaris and the weight down.Each time the HA in the mount tab would come up with one of 2 values,6 or 10 When the value was 6hr goto's would be reasonably precise however a value of10 would send the telescope way off. I found that parking the mount and turning the power off and on again would bring the HA to 6 and cure the problem of bad goto's. So I was able to use the system successfully. However since loading the version 1.7.7 powering the system off and on does not cure the problem consistently. So I had to dig around a bit. When the HA in the mount tab is at 6 the value for LT on the top left hand corner of the Kstars display is actually local time +4 which for me, being on EST time zone , is UT. The goto's are correct in this case When the HA in the mount tab is at 10 the LT value on the Kstars page is my local time and goto's are way off.
I have a couple of questions. How do I make the system show UT consistently in Kstars and thus make my goto's good. Second, why does LT(local time?) have to show UT for the goto's to be correct.
Can someone lead me out of the darkness please?
Thanks
9 months 3 days ago #94228

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello Michael,

This looks like either a time/location issue. Your system time is your local time. Assuming you used SM App at least once ,then timezone information was also set correctly. You can check in Avalon INDI Control panel whether the UTC time was sent correctly. This issue appears to be time related rather than a driver issue.
5 months 1 week ago #97335

• Thank you received: 6
Hello Jasem

Thanks for the reply.I do not have an RT clock in my rpi4, I use a Gps dongle, which means using the SM app once will not ensure good timekeeping. What I found in the meantime was that even if the GPS had a fix the time was not picked up by Kstars, it would show some “old” time which would throw off the goto. However, if I pressed the GPS refresh button on the GPSD main page then the LT on the Kstars page would indicate UT which was reflected in the GPSd coordinates. There was no offset for my longtitude indicated. But my goto's were correct. Presumably despite that, Kstars must compensate somewhere. At some point I realised that LT had started showing local time and I no longer have to press GPS refresh. This may have happened when I upgraded to 1.7.8. but I cannot be sure as each time there is an upgrade there are a dozen other things that need tweeking. Short version,problem solved.
5 months 1 week ago #97338

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds