INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Direct ethernet connection between MacBook Pro and RPi4

• Thank you received: 0
There was a message on the direct connection a couple of days ago, but the suggestions haven't helped.

My MacBook Pro does not have a physical ethernet connection. I have a usb-C hub with one.

However, I can still only connect via the WiFi hotspot. I have followed the instructions in the StellarMate setup information.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie
3 years 8 months ago #58219

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
You need to make sure that the RPi4 and the MacBook have an IP address in the same sub-net. Basically both should have an IP address like, say, 192.168.1.XXX or 192.168.0.XXX and make sure that both have the same first three numbers. On top of that, if your WIFI network is using the same sub-net then both on the RPi4 and the MacBook you *NEED* to disable WIFI. This is because of IP routing which you will not need with a direct cable connection. It is probably best to test this first with the RPi4 connected to a mouse, keyboard and either a monitor or your TV so you can test everything while still having access to the RPi4 at the same time.

HTH, Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 8 months ago #58220

• Thank you received: 0
I have tried all that you recommended, but no success.

While my MacBook can make a connection, nothing shows up on the Pi. There is the AutoEthernet, but I don't want that. When I use the Stellarmate tools via VPN, it seems to ignore anything set via the "Accept" button.

The setup info for StellarMate implies that it is easy to do. Unfortunately, that is not correct in my situation.
3 years 8 months ago #58225

• Thank you received: 420
Sorry, I have no experience with Stellarmate so I don't know how to do that. I use Ubuntu where I configure all network settings myself.
3 years 8 months ago #58236

• Thank you received: 182

First of all, why are you communicating with your Pi4 through VPN? Isn't that a bit complicated? Or do you mean VNC?

Assuming you mean VNC, i.e. controlling the Pi4 from a virtual desktop on your Macbook, the problem with Stellarmate not responding to specific commands is not necessarily a problem of Stellarmate. It may be rooted in the VNC viewer you are using on your Macbook. If it does not encode the command correctly, then Stellarmate cannot respond.

I have had similar problems when I am trying to control my Linux desktop from a Macbook through the internet, while I have no problem at all when I do the same using another Linux machine. You have to find out what the correct keystroke combination is to elicit the command you want and then specify that in the VNC viewer on your Macbook. I have experienced that using ChickenVNC as well as Remote Desktop.

Alternatively, you could try out installing TeamViewer or RealVNC (RealVNC server should already be on your Pi4 by default) and see if that fixes the problem.

Most likely this problem will persist even after you manage to connect your Pi4 to the Macbook via DirectEthernet.

In the meantime, can you post screenshots of the connection information for your Pi as well as for your Mac so we can see whether you are indeed on the same subnet or if any settings are conflicting.

Jo
3 years 8 months ago #58244

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds