INDI Library v1.8.1 Released (09 Sep 2019)

Monthly maintenance release INDI v1.8.1

Plate Solving Issues

1 month 1 week ago
universalmaster
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Plate Solving Issues #44498
Turning off 'Use scale' seems for me to be the only way to prevent it from using the wrong '-L' and '-H' argument to 'solve_field'. Even when the two scales say '0', some other values are used when running 'solve_field'. So turning off 'Use scale' also seems to work here in a few test cases. Running from the command line with the correct scales seems to be faster, though. ~400s in ekos without "use scale" and ~100s from the command line with the correct scales.

Another odd thing.... If I run solve_field from the command line simultaneous with a solve in ekos and press 'Stop' in ekos, it will stop both the one in ekos AND the one in the command line. Does the stop button use some kind of killall or something? That may lead to odd things in some cases...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 1 week ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Plate Solving Issues #44500

rankinstudio wrote: Interestingly, using the simulators and "upload and solve" the images that were not solving night before last are now solving, sorta.

The positions are off, by over 1.5 arcmin in RA and DEC.

Attached is a screenshot showing the nova.astrometry.net solve, the All sky plate solver solve (astrometry.net) vs Kstars solve.

The pixel scale is also still off in Kstars.

I'm guessing this may have been an issue with the mount location being off. I don't think it was 30 degrees off. Not possible.

Ok, so for clarification (and I just changed the GUI to reflect that). Everything you see is in JNow, not J2000.

There is something odd about your image, your FOV is showing as 0x0.. did you switch telescopes perhaps and didn't solve that one?

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

1 month 1 week ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Plate Solving Issues #44523
Aren't there advantages to having coordinates in J2000 for consistency across platforms that do the conversion internally? Can we get either both at once or a choice?

INDI/KStars on Raspberry Pi 3B+
Lubuntu 16.04
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount
Canon 600D Camera
Orion SSAG @280mm Guide Scope
PHD2
Adafruit Motor Hat shield
Adafruit GPS Module
Generic Bluetooth Joystick.
Startech 7 port powered USB Hub.

1 month 1 week ago
universalmaster
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Plate Solving Issues #44531
Here is what is happening in my case: kstars uses the scale information found in the fits file to generate the options, over writing anything I manually set in the options dialogue. It seems to be done in Align::startSolving in align.cpp where getSolverOptionsFromFITS is called. The scaled reported in the log matches exactly 0.9 and 1.1 time the pixel scale in the fits header and clearing FOCALLEN and SCALE in the fits header results in a correct solve (but without any scale information...). Maybe there should be an options to either use the fits header (if available) or always use the user set options? My fits header was containing (slightly) wrong information leading to the (slightly) wrong image scale being used and there seems to be no way to manually overwrite this from ekos....
The following user(s) said Thank You knro

1 month 1 week ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Plate Solving Issues #44539

Ihoujin wrote: Aren't there advantages to having coordinates in J2000 for consistency across platforms that do the conversion internally? Can we get either both at once or a choice?

Everything is in JNow because that what most mounts report, so when you compare mount and solution coordinates, you need to be looking at the same epoch.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Time to create page: 0.620 seconds