INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RAW with my Canon40d

• Thank you received: 2
Good morning from the sunny Eifel.
Yesterday I tried the Rosette Nebula again and this time I set the native format . I exposed 25x120sec and... after stacking with DSS only stars, no Rosette Nebula (or only very weak after stretching with Fitswork). In the Fits preview only stars were visible. This morning I compared JPEG as native and RAW. With JPEGnative you can see the longer exposure in the preview by the clearly brighter picture. With RAW as native, the preview becomes more and more dull...
I'm a little sad and helpless because the conditions were optimal yesterday.
Matthias
4 years 13 hours ago #52723
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

what i want to say with this: if you set RAW as native format of the canon, all long time exposures seem to be corrected downwards and therefore underexposed... This doesn't happen with JPG. No exposure correction or am I doing something wrong... i thought with fits as transfer the native format doesn't matter...
Matthias
4 years 13 hours ago #52724

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic RAW with my Canon40d

Can you post a link to one of the captured RAW frames?
4 years 7 hours ago #52736

Hi, Jasem,
Yes, shure, hope it works...

www.magentacloud.de/share/tnp9zjpd3q
4 years 5 hours ago #52738

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic RAW with my Canon40d

I don't think you can register reasonable Ha signal with unmodified Canon with 120s exposure.
4 years 5 hours ago #52741

... but i took 25 120sec pics... so after 1h stacked, some signal must be seen... perhaps something with debayer
Matthias
Last edit: 4 years 4 hours ago by Matthias Greiner-Petter.
4 years 4 hours ago #52745

ok, as already described here from Radek, the camera modified without Astro is not optimal, so I removed the IR filter in the meantime ;-) let's see if this brings better results.
Matthias
4 years 2 hours ago #52756

• Thank you received: 420
Matthias, which telescope do you use? Please note that removing the IR filter will, obviously, let pass all IR. Refractors are not corrected for IR radiation meaning that that radiation will not come into focus. This will produce big halos around bright stars and blur fine details. It is possible to image with a camera without a built in IR filter but you will need a fringe killer or L filter to cut out IR radiation.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 1 hour ago #52760

Hello Wouter,
yes i know and i have... I'm using a Skywatcher ED 80, old version. Togehter with teh canon it provides the wright frame...
... but did somebody have a look to my sample FITS files? I#m interested what' wrong with them or me ;-)
Greets Matthias and i think the last clear night today here in the northern Eifel.
4 years 1 hour ago #52763

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic RAW with my Canon40d

Sure, I have taken a look. There's no Ha signal in them at all.
4 years 1 hour ago #52764

Hello Radek et al.
this time a little bit H-Alpha ;-) unfortunately the onstep telescope control has left after I wanted to do the darks in between, but of course the tracking was over... so there are only about 25 60sec /800ISO pictures... but the camera astro modification was successful...
Now the weather is getting worse for the first time since 2 weeks... Here is a raw picture after DSS and fitswork stretching as jpeg... maybe one can still get something out in PS.
Good night first
Matthias
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Matthias Greiner-Petter. Reason: changed jpeg
3 years 11 months ago #52771
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds