INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OpenWeatherMap does not show actual values

• Thank you received: 1
I added the OpenWeatherMap module to my ekos setup. It does start correctly, my key is valid (checked in the Chromium browser). I edited the parameters to some reasonable values, the module is connected and shows „weather is ok“. However even after more than the refresh time, all values shown in ekos are 0.00 regardless of my set up.
What is missing, why does it not show real values? A log file is attached.

Thanks. 

File Attachment:

File Name: log_15-43-...0-28.txt
File Size:85 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroMuni
2 years 5 months ago #77006
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
Thanks for this post. I was looking for a simple method to get warnings from an online service like openweathermap and you provided the clue. The Openweathermap driver seems to be a hidden gem (couldnt find the documentation).

In my case when I put my api key it seems to work straightaway and the values are getting populated.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 5 months ago #77008

• Thank you received: 1
It was my mistake: I put city-code & key in the key field. Once corrected, the fields were populated.
2 years 5 months ago #77040

@Jasem : Any idea what the 2 Precip are for?

Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
2 years 5 months ago #77045

• Thank you received: 168
OpenWeatherMap reports rain and snow separately.
2 years 5 months ago #77189

Great. Any idea which of these precips reports snow? Assuming the 2nd one :-)
Clear Skies,
Pramod

2 years 5 months ago #77191

• Thank you received: 69
What settings do you use for weather parameters?

Just looking at this driver, as not had used it before.

Currently just get:
2021-11-02T11:47:33: [WARNING] Caution: Parameter Weather value (1) is in the danger zone! 

What is Weather value (1) parameter? Seems rather vague.

Also the driver doesn't appear to use the "Status code" which from the openweathermap website, seems this should be set to something like 800 min, 802 or 803 max.

Would be good if someone could point to some documentation?
2 years 5 months ago #77192

OK, looks like I'll answer my own question, it appears that:

Weather Status is 0 if absolutely clear, 1 if there is some cloud, and 2 if there are adverse conditions such as rain or snow.
For this I have set min 0, and max 1.5.

Temperature I have left as default -10 to 30 degrees C

Pressure - leave as default 900 - 1100

Humidity I have set to 0 - 90 (rising humidity can be indicative of future precipitation)

Wind and Precipitation are left as default (0-20 for wind, 0-0 for precipitation)

Clouds I've set to 0 - 50

Status Code I've set to 800-803 - OWM codes are documented here: openweathermap.org/weather-conditions#Weather-Condition-Codes-2
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroMuni
2 years 5 months ago #77193

I just went with default for now :)
Clear Skies,
Pramod

The following user(s) said Thank You: Giles
2 years 5 months ago #77195

An issue with the weather status being set to (min,max) as (0,0) means that only when completely clear according to OWM will it be considered safe to operate.

I live close to the coast, so it is often the case that I can have completely clear skies for most of the sky, but there are clouds along the coast line in the distance. I think this skews computed conditions from the actual seeing conditions. (Would of course be better to have a AAG Cloudwatcher + weather station etc... but I won't get into that until such time I actually have a permanent dome - if ever :) )

Here's another question, I have a Pegasus PBA, with temperature + humidity sensor, and also a sestosenso2 with temperature sensor. I notice that these appear to be used in addition to OMW (through testing indoors I noticed that my temperature readings went all over the place). Is there a way to control which environment sensors are used in particular places? I guess it wouldn't make too much difference if I was running this outside for an actual observing session, but the extra control there would settle me.
2 years 5 months ago #77196

• Thank you received: 168
Oops :) Yes, first one is rain, second one is snow. I originally mostly search & replaced the Wunderground driver to OpenWeatherMap when Wunderground shut down its free service and it only had one precipitation info where as OWM has two and I just copy & pasted the snow one without changing the visible label :) The properties are internally called WEATHER_RAIN_HOUR and WEATHER_SNOW_HOUR
2 years 5 months ago #77199

Time to create page: 2.685 seconds